Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been over thirty years..so have to ask. Do header gaskets go on dry now. If I remember, we used to spray them with something. Is that still the norm? If so, what is used?

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
994 Posts
I think that was a copper spray. However if the surfaces are flat, the gasket will seal fine, bolts need to be secured evenly.

To much goop unnecessarily used ...... IMO

Pep

·
Old(s) Fart
5,790 Posts
Having tried just about everything on the market, I can say that the best available today are Remflex. Just pay attention to the bolt torque - overtorquing will crush the gasket and mess it up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with Joe, Remflex are working great for me. I torqued them in three steps which may have been overkill and used locking header bolts. I have an old set of hookers that tended to blow out other gaskets.

·
Registered
14,178 Posts
Been over thirty years..so have to ask. Do header gaskets go on dry now. If I remember, we used to spray them with something. Is that still the norm? If so, what is used?
Just use Remflex, or all metal copper, or alumunim gaskets.

Makes life simpler for a few addirioal dollars.

Bogie

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I quit using header gaskets. I bought a set of Sanderson headers for the roadster. The instructions said not to use a gasket. Instead put a 1/8" bead of high temp red silicone around the ports on the head and let it sit overnight and cure. Then install the headers. It worked great on the roadster.
I had built a set of headers for the model t coupe and always had trouble getting them to not leak with gaskets. So I tried the Sanderson method. After putting the 1/8" bead on the heads and letting it cure, I put a very thin coating of silicone on the header flanges and installed the headers, I finally had sealed headers.
It's a lot cheaper than gaskets. You might give it a try.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have been using Fel Pro gaskets with a steel core for 20+ years now. Never had a leak with any of them. Nor have I had a header bolt come loose.

For a small block Chevy with stock port sizes, P/N #1444 is ingrained in my brain!

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
994 Posts
55s & 327 were a popular build in high school, and the 301.

Same here, my favorite header gasket set, a metal and gasket sandwich.

Good seal never had a header bolt back out. Prefer allens, for a cleaner machine appearance

Pep

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts