Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 350 chevy that the # 1 tube keeps burning through my wire boot i have a heat cover on the wire and the issue is recurring i thought new headers would help but i guess not, any suggestions? the headers are comp hooker headers. Can i heat the tube and pound it in a little. also no shorty plug will work for the heads i have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had an issue with clearance myself and I used a air tool that had a flat type hammer head on it. I just flattend out a small area and then used the boot covers from DEI.

http://www.designengineering.com/

I have not been able to see if I'm going to have any burn problems yet. not the best pics, but I'm sure you get the idea. hope this helped :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Are those s10 shorty headers by chance? I had a set from two different brands and the number one tube would not allow my number 3 spark plug to screw in and just putting in a dimple would not allow clearance. I had to cut the tube and weld in a tube from my older set in order to clear. Hope you can work out your problem. You would think nowadays with all the advancement with technologies they could make a good header to clear stupid things like this.
Eric

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yea Eric you got me they are S-10 headers and yes they are probably the most annoying headers in the world, I wish I had a nice manderal bender or I would probably build a nice set. I'm using shorty plugs so that allows me to get them all in but geez it's close? :nono: I'm prayin I don't have problems :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Yeah I know your pain on the number one tube. On my Headman and Flowtech headers my number three cylinder spark plug would hit my number one tube and I don't use shorty plugs I like to use oem as much as possible. I had to cut the number one tube then cut pipe off of my old headers to add to it and angle it down so I had clearance. Its pretty bad you buy a new set of headers and you have to do that. Hopefully you will be able to figure out something but I just cut mine to get it over with. Good luck
Eric

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
I agree on the header companies though, the SBC and Angle plugs have been around for 50 years. Seems like they would figure it out, if I did stuff that fit that poorly I'd be out of a job!! :(

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Both of my 350 engines have straight plugs. One engine has dart heads and the other world product sportsman 2's. Both heads have all stock locations on everything as much as I know. Both sets of shorty headers had to have the number one tube to clear number three plug. Full length Headman before was ok but they where two piece on the passenger side and they warped at the middle section after just a couple of months. I have yet to come across of any really good shorty s10 headers that I can buy without worrying about it. I want to get ceramic coated shorty's but I am afraid they will be the same way and would be a loss.
Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.