Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently replaced head gaskets (white exhaust) tightened everything to specs, adjusted rockers like i have a hundred times before, initially drove fine now rough idle (almost impossbile to idle) and headers to cylinders 2,7,8 are warm to touch but others evaporate spit in a millisecond. have switched plugs and wires from good cylinders to bad and same issue persists. carb is an eldelbroc quad. everything was fine beforehand other than white smoke and lowering rad fluid.
any thoughts?
take care

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool headers

they are chevy fast burn heads only 2 years old, but i guess they could have warped already. saw old head gaskets had blown a small seem between water jacket on cylinder 7 and this was causing white exhaust. am going to do compression test this weekend as have to take headers off to allow compression gauge to clear on cylinders 1,2,7,8. the strange thing is it seems my exhaust is jetting out as can feel exhaust on leg from 10 feet away

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockers

i readjusted them 1/4 tighter this time (1st time 1/2 turn after taking play out of push rods) using the method of adjusting cyl 1 while 6 valves to 6 rocking, also ensured 1 was on firing stroke
worked this weekend so will do compression test tomorrow and start there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you use the Right intake Gaskets? were they installed correctly? (Could it be that the Gaskets were covering port or all of the intake ports for the cylinders that don't seam to be WORKING? ) Just a Thought!
----------------------------------Your Friend, Gene Neal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool headers

Gene
they are all the same gaskets #'s as i used 4 years ago on my rebuild. i always use a few dabs of crazy glue to hold intake manifold gaskets in place before installing manifold. i got sidetracked today and work tomorrow but Wednesday i'm going to start with cylinder compression testing and go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.