Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1985 Monte Carlo SS with a 305 H.O. engine, I just rebuilt the whole engine. I just put on a new MSD Pro-Billet Distributor, MSD 6AL Box, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wires, and Accel U-Groove Spark Plugs. Now I have a problem of my #7 and #8 header tubes glowing red after 2,000 RPM or higher, also getting a arc from the end of the spark wire boot to the ground on the spark plug? Can anyone please help me out on why my engine is doing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Before you do anything else, either repair or replace that plug wire.

I've seen glowing headers on a few of my own vehicles (one was a Roadrunner with a stroked 400...center header turbes glowed slightly any time the vehicle was driven for more than a few minutes, the other was an '85 Firebird with a small block....all the tubes glowed if it was driven hard at all). I mostly didn't worry about it. I just made sure I wasn't running way lean (no vacuum leaks, etc.) and just kept a close eye on how it ran and sounded. Never had a problem with the Plymouth (romping machine, that one), and the Firebird continued to run great until I missed a shift and spun a rod bearing (never take a factory bottom end to 8 grand if you can help it). If it were running extraordinarily lean, you'd notice it in the performance, and you'd almost certainly hear some pinging under heavy loading as well. Just keep checking your plugs and listening closely to what the engine is doing and I bet you'll be OK.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Check the mechanical advance in the distributor. Sounds like it may be sticking a bit. Lack of timing will make header tubes glow, it should be doing it on all the cylinders, not just 7 & 8.

My second thought would be the exhaust valves are sticking. Does it run crappy and backfire any? If so that might be something to look at before it burns a valve or seat.

Larry

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I've had headers glow because of retarded timing.
You problem sounds like a portion of the ignited charge from the cylinder is escaping out the exhaust port.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
coldknock said:
Check the mechanical advance in the distributor. Sounds like it may be sticking a bit. Lack of timing will make header tubes glow, it should be doing it on all the cylinders, not just 7 & 8.

My second thought would be the exhaust valves are sticking. Does it run crappy and backfire any? If so that might be something to look at before it burns a valve or seat.

Larry
is any backfiring bad? i love it when engines go pop pop pop off throttle; like if ya have a manual tranny and do heel-toe downshifting approaching a stoplight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"is any backfiring bad? i love it when engines go pop pop pop off throttle; like if ya have a manual tranny and do heel-toe downshifting approaching a stoplight."

Yep, ANY backfiring indicates something isn't right, unless you're intentionally making your engine backfire. If everything's working the way it's supposed to, you should never hear it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
I tried everything you guys said to do, its still glowing red to the point of where the header tube starts to glow white. This only happens on #7 and #8 header tubes and only glows 2,000 RPM's and higher. The timing is set to where it should be. Someone said if its not the timing, then maybe the Intake or the Intake Gasket is cracked and is getting air from the outside???? I do believe all the valves are set right. So if you guys have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts