Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any type of gasket for headers that you dont have to replace every year. i have a 92 silverado with a 350 and i have shorty headers on it. not only do they leak at the heads but also real bad at the collectors. just wondering if anyone had an idea that has worked out good for them. i installed a set of header bolts that lock onto the header tubes so that they cant back out and that seems to work pretty good at the head but the collectors are starting to leak really bad. also does any one know of anything that can protect my spark plug boots from melting to the plugs due to the headers. Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Use high quality silicone plug wires and keep them from direct contact with the headers. On small block Chevys I always had better luck running wires under the headers along the block then up to the distributor in the back.

The best thing is to buy high quality headers with 1/4 inch flanges and a ball and socket exhaust pipe connection.
Cheap headers will warp so the flanges aren't flat. Check them for flatness and clean both surfaces perfectly. I have had good luck with Permatex Orange high temp gasket sealer. I spread a 1/8" bead around each port and tighten. I warm the engine up then retighten. Then I check them once a month or so. I use loctite red. The exhaust pipe flange end can be tough if it is the flat, 3 bolt flange. I usually change to the ball and socket type connection which works fine. You can try the sealant on the 3 bolt flange. Sometimes it will work if the flange isn't warped too bad.

92 Silverado said:
Does anyone know of any type of gasket for headers that you dont have to replace every year. i have a 92 silverado with a 350 and i have shorty headers on it. not only do they leak at the heads but also real bad at the collectors. just wondering if anyone had an idea that has worked out good for them. i installed a set of header bolts that lock onto the header tubes so that they cant back out and that seems to work pretty good at the head but the collectors are starting to leak really bad. also does any one know of anything that can protect my spark plug boots from melting to the plugs due to the headers. Thanks

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
I think the trick is to keep the header bolts tight...The gaskets blow out when the bolts loosen and they blow out. Good quality header bolts and lock washers have worked well for me. I have also gotten away with using the manifold gaskets that come in gasket sets, the steel/fibre ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The collectors are the ball and socket type and the drivers side one just blew out on me here last week. When i installed the headers i used that permatex high temp silicone on the collectors and the original gaskets that came with the headers. i am still having problems with them leaking at the collectors tho. is the best thing to do is just smear a bunch of that silicone on the ball and socket and just keep checking them for tightness about once a month or what? Thanks

·
GM Tech
58 Posts
Ball and socket should have nothing to blow out :confused: Just metal on metal like most newer factory exhaust. If you must use sealant on header flanges and collectors, I've had good luck with Permatex Ultra Copper silicone. Where in Saskatchewan do you live? I'm in Moose Jaw :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in lloydminster. a little ways away. i havent gotten under my truck yet but i used the stethascope and i can hear it leaking at the collectors, so i dont know if the bolts have just backed off or if the pipe has cracked or what

·
Registered
35 Posts
After fighting with leaky headers some time ago, now I just send them out to be shaved flat...Put a machined straight edge on em & usually they are all over the place....your feeler gauge will go in everywhere! Usually the head side of it is OK but I check that too! (After a clean-up)
Just something I do right off the bat....works for me. No leaks!
________________________________________________Rick........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.