Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a 350 Chevy motor into an 86 CJ7 and would like to know what you guys thought about the exhaust. Currently I have some cheap Headman headers that are directly in front of 4 of the plug and the wire will almost touch. I was considering going with factory manifolds for the ease of changing plugs and wires. What do you guys think about this matter....? Do you know of any Headers that would cure this problem? Thanks for the information>>>>>

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
You can get different wire boots that should clear the pipes. Using the headers or not kind of depends on what is done to the rest of the engine.....If you are looking for more performance, use the headers....If not, go with the manifolds.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
If they are cheap headers take a hammer to the pipe thats obstructing the #4 plug. Sometimes you have to customize those things. :smash: And sometimes they are just poorly designed and theirs not much you can do.

·
Registered
53 F100 Chevy EFI Powered, 92 Corvette convertible
33 Posts
Headers will give you a few more horsepower but stock manifold tend to be more dependable over the long run. So ask yourself what is more important power or dependability :welcome:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for the help

weirdbeard said:
If they are cheap headers take a hammer to the pipe thats obstructing the #4 plug. Sometimes you have to customize those things. :smash: And sometimes they are just poorly designed and theirs not much you can do.

That sounds like a good fix to me. I actually perform well with a hammer in my hand. I have thought about using the old ram horn style manifold in their place...but they are really hard to find. Hey if I wanted to go serpentine instead of v-belt...do you know what years would be interchangeable? I have a block out of a truck from 69 to 79. I have all of the numbers from the block I just need to know what fits before I buy all of the pulleys....? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for the help

tjh211 said:
Headers will give you a few more horsepower but stock manifold tend to be more dependable over the long run. So ask yourself what is more important power or dependability :welcome:
I think with the 350 that I have in the jeep, which seems to be too much power in the first place, I may consider using the old ram horn style manifolds. They are really hard to come by though and when you do find them you may have to have them checked for cracks. Thanks for your help....later

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
serpentine belt

As far as the serpentine system. You can buy on from March systems for lots of cash or get on from a camaro or newer pickup. Most will have the alt. on the drivers side but some trucks and vans had them on the passenger. I used a camaro set up on my chevelle and it works great. remember that you want to buy a system with the water pump because it should have reverse flow. E-bay can be a good place to find this. I got my whole set up for 100.00.

Make sure you buy a system that has what you need and only what you need
ie:don't buy one with a smog pump if you aren't going to use it. Most will come with AC but they make a pulley to replace that if you are not using it and you can't find a system without it.
As far as what will fit the block Small block chevys are still the same so the new unit will bolt up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help

You have been really helpful thank you for the reply...I seen a set on ebay earlier for 50 dollars that came from a 71 chevelle. Below is the add I don't know how to attach a picture or I would. What do you think...?? The Ebay item number is: 200083877832 the auctions ends soon and just wanted to pick your brain...?

The ebay information on the system is attached below:

(Serpentine pulley system with power steering pump and alternator, includes crank pulley and fan pulley. Not sure for what application it will fit but believe its from a small block Chevy set-up. System came off a 71 chevelle that I purchased as a roller. Seen this same system without alt & P/S pump for over $400 reserve is far less than that.

Item is sold in as is condition due to never had it installed to see how it work, Alternator appears in new condition and P/S pump look in good shape, the P/S hoses are not included in sale")

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would love them....

:) Are they ready to go??? I would love to work something out if you want to get rid of them. I am trying to get the old jeep up and going and that would be one less thing to deal with. Let me know where to go from here on this deal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Serpentine

The serpentine system you are looking at is perfect. It is just like mine except I have an AC unit. THe best thing about this is it has the AC delete pully already installed. Ask the guy if he has the bolts and there may be a few braces for back of the alternator as well. But you can always pick those up locally.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that is what I have now....

Those headers simply put, can't hold up to four wheeling and getting the crap beat out of them. They tend to crack right around the collectors and you have to pull the passengers side header off if the starter goes out. Unfortunately with the heat and the close proximity to the header the starter only lasts about 8 months......Weird Beard said that he had a pair of ram horns that he would give me to fix the problem. Thanks for your reply and taker easy.............. :mwink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.