Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the headers that I see on ebay that hug a small block any good?? I see them on there all of the time. I was wondering if anyone has used them before.. Thanks.. Al

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes but if you can use a regular length header and collector you will build more horsepower and torque as the shorty header is a compromise but better then exhaust manifolds. If clearance is an issue the shorty is the only way to go for the price.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure about that. I took a couple of pictures of my frame setup, and put them in the project journal. I was also wondering if those "hugger headers" found on ebay are any good??, or should I look for a name brand?? Thanks.. Al

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
The "Brand" name manufacturers all make the block hugger headers too. I would go with a brand name. What brand is on ebay?

Looked at your pictures. The trouble in your case with using a full length header, would be finding one that you know is going to fit. I doubt that the header manufacturers made a set for a SB Chevy in a 37 Ford frame.........so guessing what would fit would be a chanllenge. However, the block huggers will be much more apt to fit your application.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Pretty much any header is better than a manifold.

I agree with what the others said... Proper length tubes are much better, as are brand-name headers. Cheap block huggers are usually designed for rods that only get driven a few thousand miles a year. They don't need to hold up to much. If you plan on driving this thing, get a good name brand with thick flanges and thicker wall tubing.

Summit carries a couple block huggers and they typically put their name on a brand name part, so if you ask they might tell you who makes their headers. You might get lucky and pick up some $80 headers made by Hooker

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I picked up a set of those cheap summit block huggers from a guy that was going to put them on his vette but changed his mind. I will probably never use them but they seem well made for what they cost. I trust summit a lot more than ebay guy.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I emailed a guy on ebay to see if he knows who made them. He has some that were display models. They look good, but I worry about weather or not they would leak at the head. A guy from church has a pair he is going to show me tonight. He had them for his 37 Chev. He never used them. He went with something else. They are a plain hugger style header. He said to paint them a high temp black?? If i bought them.. What color would you suggest?? Thanks.. Al

·
Registered
320 Posts
Shorty headers are great for street rods where fitment is necessary but you give up alot of low end torque and upper rpm's but mat be great for a smaller small block but if you have room go for the longer tube lenght

·
Registered
41 Posts
I forgot to mention Speedway Motors has a real nice looking set of cast iron-ram horn exhaust manifolds that look like they would flow almost as good as shorty headers but would hold up better.

·
Registered
366 Posts
From what I have heard, a set of Ram's Horns will flow as well or almost as well as the shorty, block hugger headers, though not as pretty.

The Corvette guys I have talked to say, either use full length headers or the Ram's Horns.

I have full length on my '76 'vette.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Headers

I bought a set of Sanderson Super block huggers, ceramic coated. Have only run the motor (SBC) for short periods but the fit at the head looks tight. The machining looked very good and I went with aluminum gaskets to match the Edlebock aluminum heads. These are my second set of Sanderson headers. The old ones were chromed but that didn't last long. Animal

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the guy from Church gave me a set of shortys tonight. There are no bolts for it, no collectors either. I am going to run a straight edge on it to make sure they are flush. He said not to worry about the collectors. I should get them when I figure out what size pipe I plan on using. What size bolts should I get?? I thought maybe a grade 6 or 8, but i am not sure. He told me the bolts arn't very long, and don't get stainless steel bolts.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Go to a speed shop and get proper header bolts. They have 7/16 heads, so they fit into tight spots. Another bolt that works well is Allen head bolts, but I prefer the header bolts.

If you want to paint them black.......Go with BBQ paint available at any hardware store.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No speed shop here.. Just one for tunners.. Should I just get some from Speedway motors??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts