Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
throw me under the bus agian
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i finnally installed my headers in my 75 stepside chevy yesterday,. i must say i have forgotten how tedious this can be. i did some on my blazer with a 350, and thought that was rough. it was NOTHING compared to trying to fit large diameter headers in my truck with a 454! ( needed to be threaded from underneath ) so, needless to say, i had to notch a small section of the driver side frame a little to make them fit. ( didn't help i got a super thick gasket ) & so much for my great paint job ( scratched the heck out of them putting them in ) so i hope it does burn off soon now anyway. so any of you guys have to notch frames to get these things to fit???

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
diamond mike said:
well, i finnally installed my headers in my 75 stepside chevy yesterday,. i must say i have forgotten how tedious this can be. i did some on my blazer with a 350, and thought that was rough. it was NOTHING compared to trying to fit large diameter headers in my truck with a 454! ( needed to be threaded from underneath ) so, needless to say, i had to notch a small section of the driver side frame a little to make them fit. ( didn't help i got a super thick gasket ) & so much for my great paint job ( scratched the heck out of them putting them in ) so i hope it does burn off soon now anyway. so any of you guys have to notch frames to get these things to fit???
I value a good set of equal-length, tuned headers so highly that I will cut away/modify anything that gets in their way.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! yeah i hear that! and all the while everyone telling me i should just go with the stock exhaust mannys, well i was, then found one of the bolt holes was stripped where the pipe connects, and that was all the convincing i needed. i figured i had to take off the exhaust manifold anyway.....and now im glad i went with the headers, they sure look mean sitting in there

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Tell me when you do a 69 Mustang.

Had to make three custom wrenches for that one and lift the motor out to get the headers in then lift each side of the motor to get the bolts in, then the collectors pointed right at the transmission pan making it a nightmare for my exhaust guy. I had to retorque the exhaust bolts every week to keep that thing tight, what a nightmare. Notching the wheel well supports and necessary re-inforcements was the easy part.

I won't discuss changing plugs, it makes my left eye twitch.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn, you must of really wanted them things to fit! ok man, you got me feeling a little better about my ordeal. ordeal? this sounds like cake compared to your deal! hey you seen them bolts that got holes in them with the wires connecting through 2 bolts ( pair ) they say they keep them from loosening up ( header bolts ) i got some, well see.....

·
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN
738 Posts
4 Jaw Chuck said:
Tell me when you do a 69 Mustang.

Had to make three custom wrenches for that one and lift the motor out to get the headers in then lift each side of the motor to get the bolts in, then the collectors pointed right at the transmission pan making it a nightmare for my exhaust guy. I had to retorque the exhaust bolts every week to keep that thing tight, what a nightmare. Notching the wheel well supports and necessary re-inforcements was the easy part.

I won't discuss changing plugs, it makes my left eye twitch.

I hear you there! I installed a set on my sisters 68 mustang about a year or so ago. What a pain in the rear that was! I also made a couple wrenches cut one short lol. they not only pointed at the trans but they were touching the power steering hoses melted on hoses replaced it didnt see it touching a metal line super heated the fluid Fried the seals in the cylinder!!! Ive changed the plugs on it once and that took a day itself. . . it sadly needs new plugs or at least a good cleaning for them.

now my eye is twitching :smash:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.