Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 Chevy Truck that has been swapped from the old straight axle to a Camaro front end. It is also set up for a 454 big block. The question I keep asking myself is what should I run for headers. I want the full length but I have not found any that will fit so I am asking the forum for advice what do you recommend? tia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor mounts had to be moved forward a bit to put the big block in. I am not certain what year camaro and I thought I could use headers from a 70 camaro which I think that's the year the clip is from but it didn't work.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
A basic question so we know what generation subframe you have....

Where is the steering cross link and tie rods located relative to the under-engine crossmember???
Behind the engine crossmember, or in front of it??

'67-69 Camaro is "rear steer", 1st Gen
'70-81 Camaro is "front steer", 2nd Gen

Most header designs for a Camaro front subframe clip will not fit both steering locations, especially the big block applications.

Having moved the engine forward in the cradle may kill any chance you have of finding an off the shelf header.....even if the engine was in stock location for a BBC/Camaro the headers are a tight fit to surrounding obstacles.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts

these guys have a tool that you bolt on the engine while in the car to adjust the geometry, then you send it to them and they make your headers. not cheap but they are very nice.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The easiest and cheapest way to go is to use Rear Dump Block Hugger Shorty Headers. Click on below and take your pick. You'll lose a few HP at 6000 RPM that you'll never notice over long tube headers. Plus they won't grind into the road. I used a similar set on an LS1 in my street rod. Love them. See picture.

Shorty Stainless Headers Fits Chevy GMC Big Block V8 396 402 427 454 502 | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
actually shorties lose power everywhere. They do fit well. It your engine is 500 hp then buy a kit with 1 7/8 tubes, Try to keep them fairly equal in length and 30" long is good enough.If you have room 3 1/2'' long collectors are great. 3" will suffice. Then use 3" full exhaust mandrel bent
FYI, dropping 2 1/2" exhaust system off my 400 plus hp 454 nettet me 3/10 of a second 1/4 mile time. (that is a lot)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts