Hot Rod Forum banner

Headliner Question?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  horvath 
#1 ·
Heys Guys, I want to put in a haedliner but I don't want a vinyl one. I was thinking about getting some thinner carpet and then spray tacky spray on it. I am very new on this so any help would be helpful. This is kind of a budget so no huge expensive projects please. Thanks
Fireschenie

#2 ·
You definitely dont want to glue carpet to the ceiling. Especially with an over the counter spray adhesive. Its too heavy, even the thinner "trunk-liner" carpet, to be used as a headliner.

What type of car is it? If you dont want vinyl, you might want to look into the headliner material that is used in newer vehicles, its really light. Any upholstery shop would have the stuff, even fabric/craft stores carry the stuff.

#4 ·
Yeah, the stuff that kind of looks like felt.
If you are thinking about just gluing something to the existing vinyl headliner, dont do it. Adhesive out of a rattle can wont stick to the face of vinyl. Save up the cash and have it done correctly. Any decent upholstery shop could make you a headliner out of cloth. Stop into your local upholstery shop and have them show you some material samples...

#5 ·
Thanks kristkustoms. I don't have a headliner in right now. I just have a straight metal roof. Is there any thing else I can do besides take it to an upholstery shop. I can't afford the couple of hundred dollars on a headliner right now. Thanks for all the help it is very appreciated.
Fireschenie

#7 ·
Also, if you're gonna glue anything inside, be sure you buy adhesive that will hold up to the heat of interiors! Most auto shops/stores sell the right stuff. Otherwise, as soon as the warm weather hits, everything you glued will start buckling and coming undone.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.