Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my 79 camaros headliner because it is sagging, It is a T-top headliner, where do I find a headliner to fit a t-top car? all of the ones I have seen are for regular roofs and not t-tops. Secondly how do I go about removing the old one and installing the new one?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it is like my 80 El Camino it is a piece of styrofoam formed to fit the roof and has the cloth material glued to it. I recovered mine and it looks great. We just removed all of the moldings from the edges, and the thing fell down on us! We unplugged the dome light and removed it from the car. We then used a hair dryer on high and removed the remaining cloth material. Then we took the new material (from an upholstery shop) sprayed the back of it and the bottom of the styrofoam form with upholstery glue (3M makes a good one) then with my teen aged son and wife helping we carefully positioned the material over the form and slowly lowered it onto the form making sure to keep it slightly taut, on the corners but a slight bow in the middle. Make sure that the middle touches first, then smooth it out with your hands as your helpers slowly lower it. DON'T allow any wrinkles in the material, keep the corners taut. When you get to the curved edges, pull it tightly before sticking it down, and allow the wrinkles to form on the back side instead of the front.

Ben

1 - 2 of 2 Posts