Hot Rod Forum banner

Heads wont budge

930 22
I am removing my Ford 347 Edelbrock Performer heads that have studs due to a head gasket leak. I have removed all 10 nuts but washers are stuck in place. I used a piece of wood and small sledge hammer and taped the head a few times with NO MOVEMENT at all! WTF??? tell me the secret please
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am removing my Ford 347 Edelbrock Performer heads that have studs due to a head gasket leak. I have removed all 10 nuts but washers are stuck in place. I used a piece of wood and small sledge hammer and taped the head a few times with NO MOVEMENT at all! WTF??? tell me the secret please
Try taking a soldering gun and heat the washer see if will expand the washer enough to remove the washer. I'm wondering if the washers are keeping you from removing the heads??. Sometime the head gaskets can really stick and be a bear to separate. How long have the heads been on. Ernie.

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
Studs can be a real pain as they bind on the washers, those need to go. The studs should have a Allen hex or Torx in the end facing you; it might come to having to pull them out to get enough freedom to get the head loose especially if there is glue, paint or shellac used when the gasket was installed.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
a stud remover might work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try taking a soldering gun and heat the washer see if will expand the washer enough to remove the washer. I'm wondering if the washers are keeping you from removing the heads??. Sometime the head gaskets can really stick and be a bear to separate. How long have the heads been on. Ernie.
HEADS HAVE BEEN ON FOR OVER 35000 MILES A LOT OF OVER HEATING SINCE ALSO. iLL TRY YOUR IDEA TODAY AND WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. tHANKS FOR YOU IDEAS

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know nothing of Fords, but when I have a washer stuck on a stud, I sometimes find a deep well socket that just fits over the stud, put that on over the stud, so the socket presses on the washer, and tap that with a hammer to apply some force to the washer itself. Sometimes that will get them unstuck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Studs can be a real pain as they bind on the washers, those need to go. The studs should have a Allen hex or Torx in the end facing you; it might come to having to pull them out to get enough freedom to get the head loose especially if there is glue, paint or shellac used when the gasket was installed.

Bogie
No allen heads & washers were built into the Edelbrock heads. and seems perhaps thread sealer on some of the studs too

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
Fords rally don’t need more than Lock-Tite on their head studs because the bolt holes are blind. Unlike the SBC where the bolt holes penatrate the cooling jackets so they need to be sealed and prevented for rotating when the nut is torqued which would break the thread seal.

Bogie

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don’t know if you have room to do this in the car, but for the lower studs m, if you could get a propane torch or map gas and heat the area of the block were the stud is, they try to stud.

The idea here is the expand the metal around the stud.

you already know this trick sorry for the over simplifying or over explaining.

another trick (if you have engine out and oxyactline torch) heat the stud until it’s glowing orange. Then see if it will move, if it does you can keep walking it back and forth.
If it doesn’t move let it cool then try it.

Sometimes heating the 2 different metals up and the fact that they expand at different rates can break the bond between them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Are they washers or sleeves?. You may laugh but you could try Cranking the engine with the starter with all the plugs in and see if the compression may help you. Best of luck. Penetrating oil good idea. I'd be very cautious of heating up the studs with those alum heads unless you are replacing the heads. Just more ideas on case you're running out of them.. Ernie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are they washers or sleeves?. You may laugh but you could try Cranking the engine with the starter with all the plugs in and see if the compression may help you. Best of luck. Penetrating oil good idea. I'd be very cautious of heating up the studs with those alum heads unless you are replacing the heads. Just more ideas on case you're running out of them.. Ernie.
Im at the point now where i might as well pull the stinking motor out! Finding room to work in the bay is ridiculous!! But then i could clean it up and detail under the hood finally

1 - 20 of 23 Posts