Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am removing my Ford 347 Edelbrock Performer heads that have studs due to a head gasket leak. I have removed all 10 nuts but washers are stuck in place. I used a piece of wood and small sledge hammer and taped the head a few times with NO MOVEMENT at all! WTF??? tell me the secret please

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try taking a soldering gun and heat the washer see if will expand the washer enough to remove the washer. I'm wondering if the washers are keeping you from removing the heads??. Sometime the head gaskets can really stick and be a bear to separate. How long have the heads been on. Ernie.
HEADS HAVE BEEN ON FOR OVER 35000 MILES A LOT OF OVER HEATING SINCE ALSO. iLL TRY YOUR IDEA TODAY AND WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. tHANKS FOR YOU IDEAS

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Studs can be a real pain as they bind on the washers, those need to go. The studs should have a Allen hex or Torx in the end facing you; it might come to having to pull them out to get enough freedom to get the head loose especially if there is glue, paint or shellac used when the gasket was installed.

Bogie
No allen heads & washers were built into the Edelbrock heads. and seems perhaps thread sealer on some of the studs too

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are they washers or sleeves?. You may laugh but you could try Cranking the engine with the starter with all the plugs in and see if the compression may help you. Best of luck. Penetrating oil good idea. I'd be very cautious of heating up the studs with those alum heads unless you are replacing the heads. Just more ideas on case you're running out of them.. Ernie.
Im at the point now where i might as well pull the stinking motor out! Finding room to work in the bay is ridiculous!! But then i could clean it up and detail under the hood finally

1 - 10 of 10 Posts