Hot Rod Forum banner

Heads wont budge

905 22
I am removing my Ford 347 Edelbrock Performer heads that have studs due to a head gasket leak. I have removed all 10 nuts but washers are stuck in place. I used a piece of wood and small sledge hammer and taped the head a few times with NO MOVEMENT at all! WTF??? tell me the secret please
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
9,669 Posts
Ive pumped the cylinder full of air before to lift a head. 175psi might help.
IF you can get the studs out, stick something in the intake port and pull.
If you wanting to save the studs, this won't work but you can thread on a nut and weld it on the stud. The heat and move down the stud and break the bond and the nut will give ou something to grab onto.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
you could attach a chain to each end of the head with a bolt and use the engine lift to really put some force on it. put a couple head nuts on to keep it from getting away. I picked a 69 mustang up by the distributor body one time, I think at least one wheel was off the ground---when it let go it hit the ceiling of the shop, 18 feet away.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
9,669 Posts
That reminds me of a time putting in a new dist on a 69 Ford pickup, on the side of a gravel road on top of a river levy that was blocked off due to flooding.
Stupid thing didn't fit so a buddy grabbed a 2 foot piece of scrap 2x4 and a 2lb hammer and drove it ALL the way in, timing unknown......Ran great for another bunch of years that way and ultimately that old ford ended up under water and as far as I know, still there......ironically.
Do what ya gotta do some days

21 - 23 of 23 Posts