Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have put headers on my 250 L6 engine would it be possible to use water to heat up the intake manifold... Originally it uses exhauste gases from the original exhaust manifold tO heat up the intake manifold

·
Registered
847 Posts
Many Datsun engines use cooling water for manifold heat. There is a hose coming off the out on the water pump, that goes into the intake manifold just below the carburetor, and the manifold has holes that go into the cylinder head. The manifold is aluminium.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have four inlines with multiple carburetors. One is heated, the other three are not. I live just west of Sacramento, CA and too date no troubles. But, during colder weather I do allow those that are unheated to warm at a fast idle for three or four minutes after starting from a cold engine.
Normbc9

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that's great thank you..
Do u not find you have flat spots on acceleration with no heated manifold..
So with the stovebolt part would u need another water pump with an extra outlet to feed it or can u just route a pipe from an original water line

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Once they get heat from the cylinder head, they will run ok. The exhaust heat just gets the intake up to temp faster in a cold climate. Fords did use coolant heat in many of there inline 6's. There is at least a kit for the 235 to do the same, but I would expect it's available for the 250 also. It's a carb riser

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Ray
THe one on my truck the hoses ran from the water pump thru the heater core then thru the heat plate and back to the thermostat housing. Some thermo housings have 2 drilled and tapped fittings on them. One for the temperature sender and one that's plugged off. Mine had the raised area for the plug but it wasn't drilled out. We drilled it and tapped it for a nipple to tie back to.
My truck ran like crap without the heat plate. Even had some hesitation when warmed up but I live in a coolish part of the world. Rarely higher than 85*. Normally 70*.
An hei conversion helped a bunch.
If you're going to go with a 4 bbl intake look for a clifford one if you want to heat it. Some of their intakes have a heat chamber built in.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why would you need it closed? In the winter it would take longer wait time to drive while engine gets up to operating temp.
tanks for replying

because this port heat the manifold and manifold heat the fuel then hot fuel and hot air cant otomise and mix and will down volume efficiency of engine and cant good burn ...

Fuel cooling - Forum - F1technical.net

my goal is cooler fuel and cooler air coming to engine not hot ... because i use better carb than factory rochester .... my carb is holley and this carb have best booster and venturi i thing this carb havent problem with cool mixing

whats ur opinion ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.