Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I have a 98 dodge ram van with a 3.9 engine. my problem is my heater/blower switch. this is the kind of switch that you turn clock wise/counter clock wise 2 operate. It is a 4 speed switch. It is now only a ONE speed. I now only have high speed. What Would this problem most likely be? Would it most likely be in the switch itself, or maybe a relay? I have a Chiltons but it has nothing on this problem. Hellllllpppppppppp!!!!! its getting cold. :( Thaanks for any help on this.
Keith

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Chances are the blower motor resister is bad. Check your local dealership for a new one. takes less than a 1/2 hour to install.

Good luck

Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heater blower prob

1931 steve said:
Chances are the blower motor resister is bad. Check your local dealership for a new one. takes less than a 1/2 hour to install.

Good luck

Steve
Thanks for the help. Now- what/where is this blower resister (Chiltons is useless)? crazycuda says maybe in the switch? Now I am really confused. Could it be a relay? Thanks for any additional help as it is much appreciated.

Keith

·
Registered
45 Posts
I looked it up on mitchell today, The blower motor resistor block is in the eng compartment on side if heater a/c housing. The blower relay is also in engine compartment on top cover of heat/ac housing.
The tan wire is low speed
LTgreen/white is medium
ltblue is medium 2
black brown is high speed

According to what I have here if no voltage is coming from the switch then the switch is bad. No power from resistor then resistor is bad. I talked with a buddy of mine who does alot of work on these vans he said the switch and the relay are common problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heater blower prob

crazycuda said:
I looked it up on mitchell today, The blower motor resistor block is in the eng compartment on side if heater a/c housing. The blower relay is also in engine compartment on top cover of heat/ac housing.
The tan wire is low speed
LTgreen/white is medium
ltblue is medium 2
black brown is high speed

According to what I have here if no voltage is coming from the switch then the switch is bad. No power from resistor then resistor is bad. I talked with a buddy of mine who does alot of work on these vans he said the switch and the relay are common problems.
Crazycuda SIR!!! Thank you for the trouble you went through 2 help!!! That is what I was looking for. This Chilton manual is lacking 2 say the least. I am a fellow TAR HEEL. I was born in a little town called Tryon (on the N & S carolina border). I just returned from my dads place in Old Fort (near Black Mountain). Where are you located? I plan 2 relocate 2 Old Fort in 5 (sooner?)years YESSSSSS!!!!! I can't wait. Always good 2 talk with a fellow TAR HEEL! Again, thank you very much for your help. Also, I have a good friend that owns a 71 Challenger, 71 roadrunner, 70 duster, and a 63 Bellvedere. Later.
Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts