Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Camaro SS BB 396, that I use for shows and an occassional afternoon drive. The car is stored in the winters.

I am considering bypassing the heater core just to clean up under the hood. I wasn't sure if this was a good idea.
If it doesn' t hurt anything, can I just cap off the inlets and outlets or should I run a hose from one to the other. I would prefer to cap them off since I am doing it to clean up.

I do not need heat in the car.

Thanks for you time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As they say" If it works ,don't fix it. " Myself ,if I saw the bypass of either type I would assume the heater core had a leak and you didn't want to mess with the dash.

·
It just takes time and money
225 Posts
If you don't need the heater...cap them off. I don't see any possible problem, except a longer warm up. Go for it, it'll look good.
AngliaBob

PS: Pull the heater core and weld up the holes in the firewall...it'll look great.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Every summer I remove the hoses from mine.Put in threaded plugs and rubber caps over the heater core.It helps cutdown on the heat in my car during the summer.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Plug them and drill a small (1/8") hole in the t-stat so the water can circulate while it is warming up (it normally goes through the heater core).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the info. I think I will cap them. I plan to remove the heater core and weld the holes closed on the cover.

Being a Big Block, the car usually warms up pretty quickly.

I attached a pic of my engine compartment right now.

Attachments

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Speaking from a judges viewpoint, if you plug or by pass it without removing the whole heater, your engine points will suffer.

Troy

Built for points.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very Nice Troy. I was thinking of removing the heater core and cover to make the firewall nice and flat.

I am certainly not to where you are yet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts