Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 59 Apache Suburban and I need to hook up the heater core. I understand the hose that sends water to the heater comes from the Water pump. But which side of the core is the inlet? They are the same hieght.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
If they are the same size, I don't see what difference it will make. When you have a plugged heater core, the first thing to try is reversing the hoses to see if it will dislodge the blockage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pipes are identical. They both come out of the bottom of the core. One loops up and around then exits the firewall. The other just runs straight out.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Flow

Doc here:pimp:

Try the top Hose to the water pump, If I remember that far back, I don't think it made any difference which way the flow went, (The Core Dosen't Care)

On the later Cores, The inlet had a Valve for water Flow shut off, where yours is old enough I think just mechanically Shuts a heater door on the Heater box. These usually are 5/8 and 3/4 hoses types , so you can't reverse them.

Hope it helps!

Doc :pimp:

·
1,053 Posts
Re: Flow

docvette said:
Doc here:pimp:

Try the top Hose to the water pump, If I remember that far back, I don't think it made any difference which way the flow went, (The Core Dosen't Care)

On the later Cores, The inlet had a Valve for water Flow shut off, where yours is old enough I think just mechanically Shuts a heater door on the Heater box. These usually are 5/8 and 3/4 hoses types , so you can't reverse them.

Hope it helps!

Your exactly right Doc, the cores that have the same size inlet and outlet do not have the valve.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a temperature adjust lever on the dash but it's broken off. There is no cable to attach it to anyway. This cab has deluxe trim so did it used to have the shut off valve maybe?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Shut off

Doc here :pimp:

Thanks Lonestar!
The 'Ol memory sometimes gets Fogged ... Olde Age ya know...

I would think no, on your Shut off valve, unless it was some type of after-market Add on...and then should be different Hose sizes..

What you could do is look under the dash, and see where the heater door is ... It probably won't have the cable on it or be broken, if it was removed from the Heater Control heat knob before...But, should have a linkage hook up for a cable...this would eliminate the Valve.

BTW, If you want it to work after you hook it up, you will have to replace the cable..or manually open the door...

·
1,053 Posts
I am trying to find a diagram for you. May take a while to sort through the files, but I think I have one (or at least similar).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be great. I have the system cleaned, painted and back in the cab working. I realy want find out what the temp control on the control panel did. It would be nice to get it working in factory condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts