Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried using the search mode but it isnt working right now and I need an answer by Friday AM.Early model s10.3.8 engine.When replacing the heater core do I have to completely remove the dash?I heard you do from a slightly trustworty source,but it seems like a lot of needless work.Thanx in advance guys(and gals)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Early S-10, as in '82-'94? I think you have to remove the whole dash to get the ductwork out of the way but it's been a while since I did anything with the heater core. As I remember and the dash is easy to remove - two 10 mm(?) bolts on the bottom corners near the door jamb and then two 7mm screws in the defroster recess. Probably need to pull the inst. cluster, HVAC, lights, radio (or at least unplug those items from behind) and hood release cable if you want to take it right out. You might get enough room just pulling those four fasteners I mentioned and lifting the dash out of the way - in that case, pulling the two 15mm (?) bolts to drop the steering column a bit might provinde some more room to move the dash around.

Hopefully you can get it all from the inside. As I recall, some of the screws around the fan blower in the engine compartment are really tough to get to.

Cores should be the same for the 2.8L and 4.3L.

Hope that helps.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx,will pick up heater core tomorrow,this job is a FREEBIE...my 17 yr. old neices truck.It couldnt be a paying customer.I better get cookies at Chtistmas this year.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I didn't have to take the dash out. There is an access panel in the back of the glove box...so taking off the glove box door (so you don't break it because of how weak they are!) and that panel should do it. I think taking the passenger seat out would make it a lot easier...I wish someone had given me that tip before I did mine (I got to half of the bolts sitting upside down in the seat with my head on the floor).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts