Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody think it would help to wrap the heater hoses with, for example water line insulation to help put out more heat in the heater?

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
Nope! :).....................................................................................

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I have a suspicion that you heater core is clogged up something fierce.

If it were 95% clogged, you would still get a decent flow out of your return.
(as has been stated in other posts)

Meaning---if there were only 4 or 5 clear tubes in the core, you would still get a decent flow, but you would not get any decent heat transfer 'cause there would be no flow thru the other 35 tubes (i'm just grabbing numbers here :D )

Does that make any sense to you??

Same as your radiator----if only 4 or 5 tubes are working-----your motor won't for very long.

Bryan----------------just tossing a suggestion out for ya

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bryan59EC said:
I have a suspicion that you heater core is clogged up something fierce.

If it were 95% clogged, you would still get a decent flow out of your return.
(as has been stated in other posts)

Meaning---if there were only 4 or 5 clear tubes in the core, you would still get a decent flow, but you would not get any decent heat transfer 'cause there would be no flow thru the other 35 tubes (i'm just grabbing numbers here :D )

Does that make any sense to you??

Same as your radiator----if only 4 or 5 tubes are working-----your motor won't for very long.

that makes sense to me, but is it possible that a new heater core was clogged because when i put it in new it never put any more heat out than it does now. is there any suggestions on how i go about flushing the heater core?

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
Heater Hoses

To flush the heater.Take the heater hoses off from the engine. Turn the heater control to Max. Put a garden hose in one of the hoses and see what comes our the other end.

Question: Are you sure the heater control is working properly? What about the thermostat? Are the heater hoses hot going in and out of the heater? I do not think the core is clogged....russ

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
You have a heater problem, but......

get some of that foam insulation for house pipes.. works.... but in summer will shrink from the under hood heat.

the pink seems to last better than the gray in my everyday cars...... I use it to seal the core support/radiator gaps. The gray shrunk after 3-4 years so I replaced it with pink.. the only available.... nobody noticed the gray..... now they ask.......what's that pink stuff?

You could also get some of the house type fiberglass wrap for house pipes, but the coating will probably melt too.

·
5,122 Posts
russlaferrera said:
To flush the heater.Take the heater hoses off from the engine. Turn the heater control to Max. Put a garden hose in one of the hoses and see what comes our the other end.

Question: Are you sure the heater control is working properly? What about the thermostat? Are the heater hoses hot going in and out of the heater? I do not think the core is clogged....russ

You should be BACK flushing everything, not FORWARD flushing that forces the silicone and other garbaaaage INTO the core.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have flushed it with a garden hose seems to flow good in both directions but wouldnt it look that way even if a few cores were stopped up? i was thinking of pouring acid through it

·
Administrator
18,398 Posts
I think you need to be looking at other parts of the heater....Maybe, one of the heater doors is not closing, so you are getting cold air from oiutside, instead of warm air going over the heater core.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Pouring acid in it might not be a good idea,if there is any aluminum there the acid will corrode it,and it would probably let off quite a stink.And acid might not be compatible with other chemicals that could be present.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
????....can be just a little neater looking than xnytrik's good plan........aluminum foil from the kitchen, wrinkle it then roll wrap it around the hose shiny side down.....cover that with a length of the (3/4"?) convoluted black plastic wire wrap ($5?)

put enough wrinkled foil on that the wrap cover does fits just "snug"

shiny foil=reflects 100% of the radiant heat back into the hose
wrinkles and convoluted cover=trapped air insulating to keep the cold off the hose

make sure you are getting the max gpm you can thru the heater, drill out the water pump connect just 1/8" will make a big difference (think of a 1/2" VS 5/8" garden hose flow)

make the heater core more effective for heat transfer, increase the core surface area and fill whatever space there is in the box = pieces of scrap aluminum screwed or glued or zip tied or "whatever" to the core.....pieces of 1/8" L bar, pieces of flat folded to a Z shape, drill a bunch of holes in the pieces to maximize the blowing air contact surface
doesn't have to be pretty...nobody will ever see it

·
5,122 Posts
If the volume of 195* hot water produced by an engine is not enough, then you are in much-much too cold of a climate for internal combustion engines.

My cars blow 140*+ air out the floor vent on high fan. I've checked it.

If that isn't enough, you have a cabin insulation problem.

Does neat count when you are freezing your bunns off????? :D

·
Administrator
18,398 Posts
poncho62 said:
I think you need to be looking at other parts of the heater....Maybe, one of the heater doors is not closing, so you are getting cold air from oiutside, instead of warm air going over the heater core.
Like I said.................

·
5,122 Posts
poncho62 said:
Yes, we still don't know what he is working on.... if it is old it might not even have blend air doors..... and he has a new heater core....

I'm outta here...... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
xntrik said:
Yes, we still don't know what he is working on.... if it is old it might not even have blend air doors..... and he has a new heater core....

I'm outta here...... :thumbup:
78 chevy truck and it has blend air doors and they are working.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive got one more question, i am running my heater hoses from the intake to the heater core and then to the radiator is that the correct way? or should it be from water pump to heater core and then to the intake?

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Intake>>>heater core>>>radiator

I answered your pm----but the internet was being fussy---not sure you got a reply.

Bryan

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Poncho, He claims that they are too hot to hold onto.

Runn, I just thought of something else----you stated that you had changed the heater core some time ago--

Might want to check that one side of the core is sealed from the other when installed. Perhaps you are getting flow around the core instead of thru the core.
(just something to think about)

And make sure both air doors are working correctly.
As for blower speed----I think there is a resistor set somwhere in the lead to the motor----not sure where it is as mine was relocated when I had AC installed--(about 20 yrs ago)

Bryan

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bryan59EC said:
Poncho, He claims that they are too hot to hold onto.

Runn, I just thought of something else----you stated that you had changed the heater core some time ago--

Might want to check that one side of the core is sealed from the other when installed. Perhaps you are getting flow around the core instead of thru the core.
(just something to think about)

And make sure both air doors are working correctly.
As for blower speed----I think there is a resistor set somwhere in the lead to the motor----not sure where it is as mine was relocated when I had AC installed--(about 20 yrs ago)

Bryan
thats what i figure is happening ive went and got another core from a blazer i know had a heater and boiled it out this evening. tomorrow im gonna try to put it in and see what happens

1 - 20 of 25 Posts