Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be a good cheap heavy duty suspension for a 1976 camaro?
it has leaf springs so could leaf springs out of a chevy 1500 work?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I guess it depends on how heavy duty you want it, why dont you just have a spring outfit add another leaf to the rear spring pack. They could tell you exactly what rate leaf to add for the desired effect.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
leafs out of one of those "gun trucks" used in 'nam would be heavy duty enough for any civilian application within residential/commercial use. Expect the weight of your camaro to double. Pretty sweet war machines, check em out here gun trucks

Okay, honestly, either find a spring shop and tell them what you want, or visit the local speed shop. Most people like summit, but I like the crazy old man behind the counter at the place I go to. Plus he gives me little random discounts every so often. :thumbup:
-Matt

·
Registered
452 Posts
As the other guys stated, It would be best to go to a spring shop in your area. Most major cities have at least one.
Tell them what you need done and ask for recomendations and go from there.

Now for the question: exactly what are you attempting to do that requires heavy duty springs? I am not trying to be funny but it helps in getting a proper answer if you give a bit more info.

The normal reasons are usually that it sits too low in the back, the big tires won't clear, It bottoms out when hauling passengers in the back seat, I need to tow a trailer and such.

If you are attempting to control wheel hop at the drag strip a different approach may be needed.

One more point, springs are usually built to fit one application. The rear springs for the Model Camaro that you have will probably only fit that body style of Camaro in the particular Generation of Camaros that it came from and possibly the same year Firebirds. The springs off C-10's are only going to fit C-10's . True One can move brackets, weld on different brackets and the like to make springs fit but the results are usually less than desireable.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
That's a fairly popular car. Aftermarket springs are readily available for it. Avoid anything from JCWhitney. Contact Mike Eaton at Eaton Detroit Spring for his input and a price for OEM replacements. He might be higher, but they are quality products.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i remember awhile ago reading something on here about what dodge did to stiffen their leaf springs on cars from the 60s
i think it was flip a few of the leaves around
im running larger tires on the back but plan on going with an ever larger tire once i find some for the right price(cheap) and i want the back end to sit up higher and be stiffer(31 yr old springs dont work as well as they use to)
anyway its got a 454 with a 4spd(dunno what kind)didnt care it was free(the great thing about knowing people who own junk yards)but i wanted to know about springs because i soon plan to swap the axle it has a stock 10 bolt rear and im unsure if i should go for a 12 bolt or a ford 9in rear

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Why don't you just put a set of air shocks on. That's what we used to do in the old days. They're cheaper and you can adjust them to clear just about any tire size.

·
5,122 Posts
53belair said:
i remember awhile ago reading something on here about what dodge did to stiffen their leaf springs on cars from the 60s
i think it was flip a few of the leaves around
im running larger tires on the back but plan on going with an ever larger tire once i find some for the right price(cheap) and i want the back end to sit up higher and be stiffer(31 yr old springs dont work as well as they use to)
anyway its got a 454 with a 4spd(dunno what kind)didnt care it was free(the great thing about knowing people who own junk yards)but i wanted to know about springs because i soon plan to swap the axle it has a stock 10 bolt rear and im unsure if i should go for a 12 bolt or a ford 9in rear

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1967-nova-leaf-springs-104841-2.html post # 18

Flipping the leaves will not raise the rear of the car. The rear of the leaves gets softer to maintain ride/ ride height. It even be a tad lower with weight in the back seat.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Why do guys want to do things that didn't really work right on the cars "back then" and wern't always that good looking or safe.
The main thing is that when you lift the back end of those cars high enough to stick BIG tires under them you tend to loose any handeling that you may have had with the car when it sat at it's normal height.
That and as one of the guys mentioned above if you do it wrong the springs tend to collapse rather quickly.

Detroit Eaton Spring company or one of the local shops can build you a set of springs that bolt in and will give you a couple of inches of lift over stock. It will ride like a lumber wagon but it will have the raised in the rear just like the 70's look.

It's all about different strokes for different folks so if that is what you want go for it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chopt 48 said:
when you lift the back end of those cars high enough to stick BIG tires under them you tend to loose any handling that you may have had with the car when it sat at it's normal height.QUOTE]

who's need handling when ill be driving in a straight line most of the time :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
ok, that changes things. Old toot that I am, I build my rigs to be reachers that can burn up the miles on the highway in relative comfort and safety.

·
5,122 Posts
Their suspension design is not quite as crappy as a 67 Nova...... so.....

Who cares if it wanders around the track at 100 mph with the front end light from acceleration and catching air?

"Damn the safety, full speed ahead."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts