Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Caution: Many Heddman headers have oval ports and will leak if put on a SBF head with rectangular exhaust ports! I use JBA on my small block ford. I use my Heddman headers for a giant paper weight. I contacted Heddman and they verified the oval port headers will not work on stock SBF with rectangular heads. :evil:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Another Option

Carrol Shelby designed a Hi-Po exhaust manifold for small block Ford "K' code Mustangs these will fit in tight places and flow quite well,here is a pic showing the stock Mustang and the "K" codes these show up on ebay and are also available thru some Mustang shops.The second Pic is the block huggers that Speedway offers.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
JeffB said:
Carrol Shelby designed a Hi-Po exhaust manifold for small block Ford "K' code Mustangs these will fit in tight places and flow quite well,here is a pic showing the stock Mustang and the "K" codes these show up on ebay and are also available thru some Mustang shops.The second Pic is the block huggers that Speedway offers.
One of your pics shows oval ports.
I would be careful that port shape matches heads.
All of my 289 and 351W heads have rectangular ports.
Maybe newer SBF have oval ports???

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Ports

001mustang said:
One of your pics shows oval ports.
I would be careful that port shape matches heads.
All of my 289 and 351W heads have rectangular ports.
Maybe newer SBF have oval ports???
No,there are no SBF's with oval ports, you can Google various aftermarket heads like Canton,AFR.Trick-Flow,Edelbrock and even the Ford GT-40 (saw some today) The Header companies started this round port,oval port concept back in the 70's( I was there :cool: ) the idea was that if the flange mated up to the wider exterior of the head port they would be less prone to leakage.I remember some guys with SBC's would not buy round port headers because it freaked them out back in the day.As for the Mustang shorties working,probably not.They don't really hug the block in fact they stick out,in my '54 Ford sedan with a 302 they hit on the steering box and were up against the A-frames. :nono:This pic may give you an idea on the Hedman this a 302 in a '53 Ford car.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Even JBA has an issue interfering with the steering box on 65 289 Mustang and 67 Mustang 351W swaps.
I am trying to figure out how to scoot engine over 1/4" so I don't have to clearance new JBA headers. I am considering installing a Must Unlimited 2287 01 short engine mount on the passenger side. Hope it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.