Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well hello,
I’ve given up and going to ask the experts.

I’ve tried jumping wire in my truck to figure it out and looked in every corner of the web.

I have a Chevy 4.3l v6 year unknown with a HEI distributor with 4 wires. I need to know what each one does. They are labeled a = black b = white c = green d = brown.

The brown goes to a vacuum sensor on the fire wall in my chev truck with the same distributor but v8, motor year unknown. And I’ve been told by a buddy that he just skip the 4 pin connector and hooked it up to the cap. If I should hook it up to the cap what are the 3 wires.

What is that vacuum sensor any way, can’t find that info ever.

Thank you vary much.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

IF and I say IF , it is the same as the one on your 84 truck...

The Wiring is as Follows:
  • BLK/RED= pin 13 on the computer
  • WHT=pin 12 of the computer
  • TAN=pin 11 of the computer
  • PPL/WHT=pin 10 of the computer (I suspect this is your green)

IF you are trying to run this on a non computer vehicle..It isn't going to work..IF you get it running, you will have no EST .. 0 to 60 mph in about a week...If it will pull it's own weight.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read your post and remembered that the motor went and was swapped by the last owner. It doesn't have a computer either. That might be why I am have problem finding 84 info that makes sense.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Then the short Cure for you is to get a pre 1980 GM HEI out of the bone yard..

It will have ONLY two connectors on the cap , one marked "BATT" which will go to the ignition and one marked "TACH" self explanatory..

Simple and easy to swap AND about 25 bucks at the local bone yard.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
If it has a seven pin module and no vacuum cannister you cannot use it.
This type of distributor was for computer controlled vehicles only.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Malc is correct..

If it is a Computer supported unit (1980 and up) It won't run..and if you do get it to fire..It will barely run..having no electronic Spark Control (ESC) that is what the extra wires do..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts