Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set up I can run a HEI Distributor with a cut out top and side window distributor cap to view the spark track from rotor to the cap contact. Having several HEI modules (Delco, Pro Comp, MAAS, etc) I can compare performance of one to the others.

I note one that fires twice on a single cap contact. I know it is not the Delco unit. There is no identification on this double fire unit. One spark is at lead side of contact and second on trail side. But this is only noticeable when some vacuum advance is engaged. All the others fire once about the middle. Others do have some spark movement with vacuum advance but not as much as the double fire module. The spark on all eight spark plugs is a nice blue flame With all modules. I can’t say I notice a double fire on the spark plugs. Possibly it does but I can’t see it. I only see double spark inside the distributor rotor to contact.

My question is were some HEI modules designed to pulse twice per cylinder fire? How will this look using a timing light in the car if it sparks twice? Anybody have experience with a double fire module? Is this double fire module any good possibly defective?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it out of pkg but didn’t save anything. I can tell the Pro Comp by prongs, the Delco‘s is marked on the plastic face. The High Tech #HT1906 no marking. This one and one other has no markings.

I didn’t get MSD or Pertronix. I was trying to stay with stock type modules. Nothing exotic that’s why I question the two spark per cylinder I’m seeing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.