Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help i just put a 450hp motor in my 88 vette and somehow the tac wire got cut off and i cant find it unfortantlly i need that wire for my msd to get spark does anyone know were that wire originates from so i can just run a new wire to the dist

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

The Tach wire DOES NOT provide spark...

However , it will be the white wire from the body harness, that used to plug into the Old HEI unit..

Spark for your MSD will come from the Switched Ignition , a 12 gauge orange or Purple..It will only have 12 volts on it when the Key is on.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Depending on what engine came out..

The White wire goes to the computer and the tach..nowhere else.

If your not running the factory computer than it will only go to the Tach.

The Pulse is an OUTPUT to the computer from the HEI, not an INPUT, and serves as a reference pulse for Computer signal coordination..should you be running FI, TBI, or EFI..and the whole sensor pack for the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a tpi 350 with first electronics and aerosenser with a air senser computer that piggybacks into the gm computer afr heads ect. so thank you for your help so i can go to the harness leading into my comp find the white wire ad on to it and route it to the dist and that should solve the problem?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

The only way your going to find that out, is to unwrap the harness bundle and follow the wire out...The stock diagram offers no information about it..just white wire from Tach to HEI module, then into the computer ...Pin D4..

It also shows no other white wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.