Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I Have built a 55 chevy with a 454 I installed a hei ignition system in it. The car ran great. I moved the car out side to replace the head light switch.I disconnected the battery. Replaced the switch then connected the battery. The car would not start. Pulled a plug and found no spark.Repaced the modleand still have no spark.Check the power going to the hei coil and there was 12 volts. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
modual burnt up, pretty common. get a new 1 from the parts store. get a 4 pin modual. to replace them, pull the cap and rotor, it is the brake pad shaped thing underneath.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Tap the coil several times with a hammer and try it, if it starts the coil is bum. If it doesn`t run, try another coil, if no go still, replace the pickup coil.
Also check and make sure the power wire is getting power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rear end change on a 56 chevy 210

Has any one out there changed a orginal 56 chevy rear end with a lincon versialls 9 inch and relocated the springs up under the frame? please let me know.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
big block chevy said:
Has any one out there changed a orginal 56 chevy rear end with a lincon versialls 9 inch and relocated the springs up under the frame? please let me know.
Are you hijacking your own thread??????

Yes. 56 Chev 2 dr. :cool:

It is uncommon to see the rear leaf spring inserted into the frame at the front end if you want it low and use wide tires. Make the frame into a C channel with the bottom side open to insert the spring. If the spring is pretty straight for lowering, the rear of the cut out needs to be fairly long toward the frame arc so it won't hit metal to metal on compression. I can't remember 10-12 inches.

After installing be sure that suspension travel does not make the leaf spring hit the frame, since the frame is fairly straight in that area. Strengthening of the frame is recommended since you just made it into a C channel with the bottom side open to insert the spring.

If the rear shackles are short and narrower on the spring than on over the frame width, be sure they don't bottom out metal to metal during suspension travel. Rear shackle placement into the frame is important so that a short shackle can have sufficient movement for the spring length change during suspension travel.

If you get this low, you might also need to C the frame over the axle housing.

Works well, :cool: but now somebody invented something called ....air ride...... :D so speed bumps and driveways are not a problem.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I say the magnetic trigger assembly in the bottom of the distributor also went bad if the module went. It is very common in HEI's to have to replace both units

1 - 7 of 7 Posts