Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone my name is Jesse and I am new to posting on this site,so bear with me,

I have a '94 chevy truck with a 350 in it. I have installed an msd 6a ignition and corresponding blaster coil. they have functioned fine for a long time probably 20-30.000 miles.I recently had a blown head gasket and so I tore the motor down to the short block and as I replaced the head gasket I also put a comp cams cam in it,along with the correct valve springs and new comp cams lifters.I got the truck all back together and it ran pretty good for about 600 miles or so,just a little rough,like I had a bad plug wire or something.

The other night I headed out for the eavining and I made it about 5 miles or so and the truck began to cut in and out about 4 or 5 times then it died and it has been dead in the water for two days now.I suspect the ditributor maybe because I have replaced the coil, the rotor button and cap,and still no go. I smell fuel and I don't think it is a fuel problem.I already had the fuel pump go out and it acted differently when that happenend. This is a very abrupt cut out like sombody just pulled the plug on me. Has anyone ever had this problem before ? Any Ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.....Jesse

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
welcome to the board, i'm not personally familiar with aftermarket ignitions but since you tore the motor down i would double check all your wires and grounds you may have somthing loose. start with the basics and go from there. i would post this in the engine forum for more responses. :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the quck reply. I have been going through all the elementary stuff and double checking all my connections I also just went through the test procedure that msd recommends for the 6a and it checks out fine so My toubles must be elsewhere:confused: I will post in the engines forum thanks....Jesse

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Take out your ignition module and have it tested. It sits under the cap and should be black with wires plugged in on each end. Autozone tests them however have them run the test about 12 times to get it nice and hot. If you used the optional harness with the MSD you should be able to wire things back up to stock fairly quickly. Try that to rule out the MSD box as the culprit.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Same answer as in your other post for the same question.

Check the wire running from your battery to your box,is it hot?If not the terminal may have come loose.
Check to make sure you have voltage to your coil from the box,I have a 6AL in my Malibu,no diff than a 6A except I have rev chips,the hot side terminal got loose from my engine shaking and broke the connection,caused the engine to run like it was a burned plug wire on the header.I replaced the eyelet on the + and - side of the coil,fired her up and she ran correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone, Thanks for your help!! I tracked the problem down to the module on the distributor,the distributor I had from auto zone was still under warranty so I popped in the new one got her timed and ...voila! my baby came roaring back to life!

I am still suspect of the quality of the auto zone dist. I am contamplating buying a new msd billet distributor It's like $289 through summit I dunno if it would be money well spent or not. At any rate thanks for all your advice,it helped me narrow down the problem alot quiker. I am glad I found this site.I will return often! Thanks again.....Jesse

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
I have the full MSD set up
6AL, MSD dis., blaster 2 coil.

I for one say what a great upgrade. I had HEI and it was rather old and I wanted to update the system. I bought all my parts off e-bay and luckly they all worked and I hooked it all up. What a great system the car starts better then ever and runs cleaner. Spark plugs are clean...of course this only comes with having things set up correctly. All for all though I cannot complain about MSD at all. Just use some good spiral wires and it's all set. HAve fun and good luck!

Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
if your running an msd 6a why are you using a module......get rid of it...there are instructions for setting the msd box up without a module....and a module from autozone is crap...no offense...i bought one before i had my box and it was crap the car wouldnt pull after 4500-5000 rpms just broke up .......just get rid of the module.....good luck

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
What would be the benefit of getting rid of the module? I cant think of any other than one less part to go out on you. But how does it run without it?

Jesse - Glad to see you found your problem. If you are going to go with and MSD grab one off ebay and save yourself a few bucks. I've had an Autozon module in my TPI for awhile and havent had any trouble with it. Just make sure you use that white grease to help disappate and protect the module from heat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
What would be the benefit of getting rid of the module? I cant think of any other than one less part to go out on you. But how does it run without it?

its one less thing to worry about......the msd box eliminated the use of the module......when you get a more modded motor like mine the stock modules do not support the mods.......to each their own but I dont use a module and never will while im using MSD good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.