Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. It's been about 15 years since I have done anything with my own classic cars (54chevy). I've been a scenic painter for a while and did a lot of wwork for amusement parks and such. I currently do a little custom graphics and paint.
I'll be honest the main reason I'm here is to ask you guys a question about some spray guns.
Right now I own an Astro 4014 that i've used and abused for a very long time. I'm looking to replace it with a new europro. I was checking the specs and and the Evo-t is saying 11.5-13.5 cfm
That cant be right....other LVLP's are running 8 and under with even super cheap LVLP guns like sprayit sp33000 running 3.5 to 3.9 cfm
Not to mention this is higher than europro HVLPs and HTEs
What gives?
Misprint that has just been repeated over and over?
Anyone maybe have an evo-t and another LVLP that could make a guess at the real air consumption?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone. It's been about 15 years since I have done anything with my own classic cars (54chevy). I've been a scenic painter for a while and did a lot of wwork for amusement parks and such. I currently do a little custom graphics and paint.
I'll be honest the main reason I'm here is to ask you guys a question about some spray guns.
Right now I own an Astro 4014 that i've used and abused for a very long time. I'm looking to replace it with a new europro. I was checking the specs and and the Evo-t is saying 11.5-13.5 cfm
That cant be right....other LVLP's are running 8 and under with even super cheap LVLP guns like sprayit sp33000 running 3.5 to 3.9 cfm
Not to mention this is higher than europro HVLPs and HTEs
What gives?
Misprint that has just been repeated over and over?
Anyone maybe have an evo-t and another LVLP that could make a guess at the real air consumption?
So it is even on Astros site.
Still makes no sense to me. My 4013 is supposed to use 9.6-.9.8 cfm and require a 3hp compressor
but the evo-t is 11.5-13.5
and somehow only needs a 2.2 hp compressor

I fired off an email to astro as well so hopefully I'll get a proper answer from them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm playing with the idea of taking a belt driven portable compressor and putting a big drive puilley on it to spinnit up faster but dropping the cutoff pressure to 60-70psi.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't hear anything from astro. I did find one video publication from them that Lists the evo-t at 8+ CFM. Which makes at least some sense. At this point I'm ready to just get the ANI F-150 for the extra $60 It'll cost

·
Slow but willing learner
5,389 Posts
I don't know that it is of interest to you Johnny, but I found and ordered an Iwata LPH400 with a 1.4 needle for 359 this week. It is in stock on Amazon. Pretty hard to beat for a top of the line gun.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you,
I actually have a w400 but I need a cheapo that uses pretty low CFM for on site painting that I won't cry if it gets dropped from a scaffold.

For the shop I'm actually considering a japanese made Meiji F-zero to replace the "W"
Best I can tell they are an lph100 body with lph400 nozzle and aircap setups.
But I think it's gonna cost like $220. With the advantage of having a swivel cup, but the tradeoff of being side heavy.

I do a lot of airbrushing and noticed that japanese manufacturers are a little funny. A lot make very similar products out of different combinations of the same parts.
So for instance my $90 mr. hobby ps270. Is exactly as if you took my friends $200 Iwata HP-b+ and put some different parts from other Iwatas on the body.

I'm one of those guys that sort of likes to try a lot of equipment :)

I might still snag an astro europro. I like my 4014 a lot for a cheapie. Just don't know If the europro is the same quality.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,389 Posts
That is interesting. I knew there are a lot of clones and copy cats out there but did not realize there was that much interchangeability of parts.

I am a hobbiest, not a professional. My resumé included 15-20 cars but I have never owned a quality gun. I was excited to find the lph400 for that price. I was afraid that a Sata 5000 rp or an Iwata ws400 (both of which I was looking at) might be too fast for my style.

https://www.amazon.com/LPH400-144LV...TF8&qid=1515740812&sr=1-1&keywords=iwata+5550

Good luck with what ever you choose and forgive me if I hijacked your thread.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not at all. I'm a "pro" but not an automotive pro.
I did bodywork for the army, but that's not the same.
Now I do scenic art and paint a lot of fiberglass ....whatevers, roller coaster cars and statues and movie cars the like.
I still cant do Sata...to fast for me. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's that most of what i paint has no big relatively flat panels IDK.

I don't know that there is that much interchangeability, thats a different issue kind of. Copies are kind of different altogether if they don't come from japan.

This is how I currently understand it (right or wrong);
Japanese manufacturers just do things differently. Japanese patents have no extensions after 20 years. So some of the body designs we see, were patented 50 years ago. Every japanese manufacturer is allowed to use it. So you may have one or two subcontractors making that body for 2-10 brands.
Many of the popular tips were patented in the mid to late 90's, those tips have now made their way onto other japanese guns and may or may not be from the same subcontractor.

The US patents, sometimes happen later and sometimes are allowed extensions. So the other japanese brands won't hit here for the next ten years or so.

This doesn't mean that it's always other brands copying Iwata.
A great many of Iwatas products were actually originally developed by other japanese companies as well. Taking a look through the patents actually leads me to believe the lph400 tips were in fact originated by meiji. The tips with a forward slanted flange around the outer ring of the nozzle that the aircap seals to, that was meiji. They all just kind of borrow from one another.
However even when the patents are void, they are not allowed to make exact copies, they must have a different physical appearance. So you end with all these japanese companies that are selling different combinations of the same parts.

They may not be totally compatible because of it. The needle may be shorter on one to accommodate the body, Or the threads for the nozzle might be different in order to make that combination work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.