Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1968 F-100, 48K original miles, Custom-Cab long bed, 240 CID with 3 on the tree, 3.70 9 inch rear. All stock with the exception of paint( something I made from a too-light red and black), wheels and tires (15" white wagon wheels and 275-60-15 BFG T/A's) and cap and rotor. As much as I love the big six and the trans, it's geared like a farm tractor, and I would love to have a little more under foot :mwink:. Everyone tells me 302 or 351W. Anybody have one, or have any sugg? Thank you for any input!!

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
X2 on the pics!
I'd keep the 240 and hotrod it. A new offy valve cover, 4 bbl intake, 390 holley and headers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I will try to upload some today. That's what my dad said, to beef up the six. He has a '54 chevy pickup with a 250 that's nasty, 2 carb offy and headers, 3 speed floor shift. I already put the EFI manifold from a 300 on mine, you think a dual port intake and 4bbl is the way to go? Maybe a cam? Ive read on some other forums people say that wont help you much. Sure sems to me it would but I would hate to do all that for a meager outcome. Let me work on these pics....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep the Six !

I'd definitely keep the six. I've had a bunch of them and all went over 200K miles. It might not be as sporty as a V8 but ya gotta finish to win.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I love 6-cylinder inlines, but they just can't compete with a mild, well-built V8 in most cases. 1968 was the first year of production of the Lima V8 (429/460) and that's what the truck needs if you want to have it run rings around a 6-banger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I like it because you just don't see them much. everybody has a 350 in their truck. I think i'll just beef this one up. I have a sputter in it now that I cant seem to figure out. Not sure if a fuel or spark problem. still trying to get pics on here. I took a bunch of good ones but they are too big. :smash:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The six will be a nice conversation piece, but even building it up to get a little more power will cost more than buying a good 302 or 351, and still have less power. I'd go the V8 route, unless you're more concerned with eye candy, than power.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Planemech31,

If you want some more cubes and still keep the 6 cylinder look consider Ford's 300 CI six. The 300's have embarrased many a V8.

Irfanview is a FREE program that you can use to re-size your pictures down to size to post them online. It's fast and easy to use. I have a couple of Irfanview instructional videos hosted at KeepandShare.com. Irfanview - Getting Started shows how to resize pictures as well as crop and add text captions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Keep the 6 and put a turbo on it ?
i was going to recommend a 406 SBC, but thats only because i have a 618 hp 406 for sale ...lol
being new here tho , i dont want the ford guys mad at me .:D

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
When I was in my early teens.I'm almost 66 yrs old.I worked at Paul Weaver's garage.He had a 4 on the floor 300 6 tow truck.He was a AAA tow station out in a rural area.That truck never failed to pull anything out.And I mean anything.I went out on tow with him in the winter.This lady pulled in the wrong side of the driveway for a super market burying her Caddy in the ditch.Now this is when Caddies wt was like the Queen Mary.Paul told me to block off traffic and hooked on that car.Lowed the boom and started to pull out the car.Rear tires spinning,chains on those tires sparking,wheel stood the truck on it's back bumper popping the clutch so the front of the truck was actually bouncing the car inch by inch out of the ditch.

About 4 yrs ago I spoke to Paul's son-in-law.He told me he bought the truck for his business and sold it running strong to another guy.As far as he knew it is still in use not burning or leaking anything.When he had it,it was well over 300,000 miles.That it never failed to start.

The whole point of this post is it is a true story of a Ford 300 6 with it being stock had tons of torque and just keeps going and going.I've seen these 300 6's used in Drag race Alters that would scare the hell out of some of the most experienced drivers.You see them run and the times and just makes you wonder how did he do that with a 6.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The 300 6 is a good engine. Already been mentioned.
The V-8 that was put in these trucks was a FE Series engine. 352, 360, 390, ,406, .410, 427, 428.
390 engines can be quite healthy. You can also put a 428 crank, and rods in a 390 block, and that makes the 410. The 410 is a torque monster, pretty much the same bore and stroke as the 300 6, but with two more cylinders.

·
Registered
13,919 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 1968 F-100, 48K original miles, Custom-Cab long bed, 240 CID with 3 on the tree, 3.70 9 inch rear. All stock with the exception of paint( something I made from a too-light red and black), wheels and tires (15" white wagon wheels and 275-60-15 BFG T/A's) and cap and rotor. As much as I love the big six and the trans, it's geared like a farm tractor, and I would love to have a little more under foot :mwink:. Everyone tells me 302 or 351W. Anybody have one, or have any sugg? Thank you for any input!!
430 or 462 MEL Lincoln, best damn truck engine Ford never put into a truck. Won't just pull stumps it'll move the whole county.

Bogie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts