Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone My name is Anatoly :) I'm from Russia; the North Caucasus...
I work as a factory worker, and in my spare time I restore classic cars. I participate in exhibitions, ride cars and motorcycles - strictly HD.
Of the interesting cars, the Plymouth 51 is currently in operation - I would be grateful for any technical documentation on this car :)

Several photos:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Are you looking to restore it or make a resto mod, rat rod?
The parts for a restoration will be fairly hard to find and expensive if you find them.
Is that car in Russia? If so, I would like to see more pictures of the body, to see if it is rotted from road salt.
The 6 volt electrical system is outdated and the wiring insulation is more than likely nearing fire hazard state.
I think it may also be Positive ground, which promoted body corrosion. That was the reason auto builders changed to negative ground.
The brake system is also outdated and for safety reasons should probably be changed to a modern substitute.

I once owned a 53 Plymouth Savoy, but that was in 1968.
For Sale: 1951 Plymouth Cambridge in North East, Pennsylvania

Here is a restored 51 Cambridge.
Plymouth Chrysler Dodge and DeSoto did some strange things transmission wise back then. Fluid drive and fluid clutches, some were just 3 speed trannys with a clutch and a torque convertor, and some had an electric shift.
Engine sizes were all over the place, Dodge and Plymouth were more basic, Desoto and Chrysler were more expensive.

send some more pictures if you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Are you looking to restore it or make a resto mod, rat rod?
The parts for a restoration will be fairly hard to find and expensive if you find them.
Is that car in Russia? If so, I would like to see more pictures of the body, to see if it is rotted from road salt.
The 6 volt electrical system is outdated and the wiring insulation is more than likely nearing fire hazard state.
I think it may also be Positive ground, which promoted body corrosion. That was the reason auto builders changed to negative ground.
The brake system is also outdated and for safety reasons should probably be changed to a modern substitute.

I once owned a 53 Plymouth Savoy, but that was in 1968.
For Sale: 1951 Plymouth Cambridge in North East, Pennsylvania

Here is a restored 51 Cambridge.
Plymouth Chrysler Dodge and DeSoto did some strange things transmission wise back then. Fluid drive and fluid clutches, some were just 3 speed trannys with a clutch and a torque convertor, and some had an electric shift.
Engine sizes were all over the place, Dodge and Plymouth were more basic, Desoto and Chrysler were more expensive.

send some more pictures if you can.
Hello everyone again! I am glad that a lot of people responded :)

I will immediately explain why I am writing to you on the North American continent, in Russia I know only three cars from a similar series, the total number imported into the USSR did not exceed several dozen of the total MOPAR 46-52

The general condition of the car fluctuates between "firewood" and "they put it in a coffin more beautifully" (this is folk folklore, I'm not sure I translated it correctly)
But here's a photo, you can evaluate it yourself:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the "original" motor for Plymouth in our area is not a problem, from $ 100. They were produced in the USSR under license in large volumes.
My goal is to "marry" the power frame of the Plymouth and the power frame of the Volga car.
There can be no question of restoration to the stock, especially considering the cost and relative rarity of the original Plymouth spare parts.
Yes, yes, I remember that in those wonderful years, a lot of automakers put a "+" on the body and a voltage of 6 V in the on-board network. I have dealt with such "wonders of science and technology" many times and I will not use them in this car :)

photo of the donor (same car):

2.5l; 4 cylinders; 85 hp; 4 manual gearbox

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why is that?
my task is to achieve the following results:
  • a car that looks better than it drives
  • abundance of spare parts for the "donor" car
  • simplicity of design at the level of the original Plymouth (no computer, no injector, nothing superfluous ;)))))))))

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About the wiring, I remembered one case...
ten years ago I had a Chevrolet Caprice Classic 91,

but his motor required a lot of repair and I bought it for the price of a motor - a car assembly. But after the fire :(

as a result, I felt sorry to disassemble it and I restored it after the fire:

But for the fact that I installed Seats from Ford Crown Victoria in Chevrolet - knowledgeable people said that: "I'll burn in hell" ;))))

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
Moving this thread from Introduction forum. It has changed from an introduction to a discussion about projects. thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts