Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is John, but friends call me JW. I'm 49 and make custom Knives for a living now. I spent 20 years as a mechanic (17 0f that as a heavy equipment mechanic). My main interest is in sb Chevy's, I had 16 different ones and went thru 18 engine combos in them between age 16 and 19, then real life set in and i got away from hot rodding. Now I finally have the time to get back into it so I am currently building a 355 for my 85 Silverado and am looking for a '63 SS Impala to rebuild. This is a great forum and I already enjoying it.
Thanks,
John

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
Hey John,
Welcome. I'd love a 63 impala! But around here you cant even get a rusted out hulk for under a grand!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found two around here over the last couple of years, but like you said they were ate up with rust. I owned a '62 Belair, '63 & '64 Impala and a '64 Malibu thru my teens and I love the lines of the'63. It wasn't anything to trade cars every few months ( or weeks) in the small community I grew up in. Usually even trades or a little"boot" such as an 8 track player or some wheels was enough to close the deal. I thought I was poor back then, now I look back at them as the good ole days.;)
John

·
266 Posts
well, at least you had them to "trade" !! I could even fathom trading my ranchero.. I dont even know what I could get for it!! But you gave me something to think about....

The only difference "body wise" between the 62-64 impalas is the rear quaters right? on is straight, one slants out, then one comes to a point right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It all got started for me with a '63 Corvair that I worked and saved two years for that would freeze you to death in the winter. I had it for a year and then started trading. :) The '62 had the slanted rear with the point shape on the front fenders and was kind of rounded across the hood and trunk. The '63 had the pointed quarter and front fenders with a flatter hood and trunk with a little bit of a raised "lip" along the edge of the fenders and quarters. The '64 had the straight rear and front fenders with the same general fender and quarter edge as the '63 but they changed the grill and taillight area and made it more rectangular looking.
John

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Oh yeah them Impalas are awesome. And there are plenty of SBC freaks here with you, and then them "other" guys:nono:
Nah, no matter what they're into, they're cool with me.

bonuts

·
266 Posts
63 is the year I like... I grew up in SOuth san Jose.. So I lived in a neighborhood that had Lowriders and Hotrods. One guy would have a lowered impala w/hydraulics and a chain steering wheel. then around the corner a guy had one that was jacked up in the back and had huge side pipes...

I love all kinds of impalas ..If I had the $$ I'd get a 68 Hard top...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts