Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this site while doing some research on a 1947 Chevy truck that I bought about 7 or 8 years ago. I bought the truck from a neighbor who got it running, had the engine rebuilt, and then gave up on completing the restore. Anyway, I'm having trouble finding a shop to help install a new 5 speed transmission and clutch, so I'm researching it myself to see what parts I need and what modifications will need to be done. After I have a better idea of what needs doing I'm hoping I can find someone to help with the repairs. It's come as a shock that there aren't more shops in my area, outside of KC, MO. to help do it. A shop in KC I talked with said it'd be about $5,000 for the upgrade, so I'm trying to find someone local/cheaper to help me out. Anyway, long story short, I'm sure I'm going to be learning a lot here and sharing some stories in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I realize this thread is no fun without pics. Here are a couple shots I just took of my 47 Chevy truck. Engine is a rebuilt 58 235 with original transmission and rear end. I'm planning on adding a new 5 speed transmission, clutch, and paint it red. I'm undecided right now if I should keep the rear end, 4.10 gear or upgrade to something a little quicker like a 70 Nova. Someone advised me the new transmission might be enough to get it running better/faster between all the stop lights? I don't know too much about all this, kind of just starting to learn just how complex things get when you want to upgrade these old autos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.