Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Eric, and I like old cars. This is a great forum and I'm glad to be a part of it.

I am interested in pretty much all cars, but I am really partial to old American cars. I like cars from the 20's through the 70's, but I like cars from the 60's most. I generally prefer offbeat cars, although I definitely like the "bellybutton" cars. I like all makes and models, but I am partial to Ford products. Mopars are cool too, and if you force me to pick a GM make I would probably go with Oldsmobile.

Currently my wife and I are in the early stages of starting a family (my daughter turned 2 in August, and my son was born in October). As such, I have zero money and almost zero time to spend on cars. So for now all I can do is dream about the future. But when I can I'm going to tackle some small and inexpensive jobs on my project car.

My main project is a 1965 Mercury Comet 404 2-door post sedan. It has a 289 and a C4 auto tranny. It has factory (dealer?) air (non-functional) and power steering. When I got it in late 2003, it was completely stock. The modifications I have made so far have mostly involved safety (I'm starting a new family and I want to be a responsible dad). I replaced the front drum brakes with a SSBC front disc conversion kit. This also upgraded the master cylinder to a dual reservoir setup. I also installed 3-point seatbelts for the front seats. I've had to deal with a minor mechanical issue in the motor involving the lifters, and I've done a lot of rust repair around the trunklid. I have recently stripped the trim off of the car and I'm preparing it for new paint, though I foresee this process stretching into months now that we have two little ones underfoot.

I have big plans for this car. I want to rebuild and improve the engine (not too much, I'm not crazy for gobs of horsepower). I want to convert the tranny to a T-5 (I miss manual shifting and I want overdrive). I want to rebuild the suspension and tune if for tighter handling. And I want to get decent paint have it look nice enough for the local show-and-shines.

When I get a chance I will try to post some pics. If I can help anyone out, drop me an email. Good luck with your projects!

PS- If anyone is interested, here is a list of all the cars I have owned (in order):

1965 Ford Mustang - a 6-cyl w/ a 3-spd and no options, but it was solid.

1988 Honda CRX-Si - fun and reliable and very fuel efficient!

1969 Chrysler Newport Custom - a 4-door boat I inherited from my grandfather, but I never drove it much.

1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible - completely stock, a great cruiser. Drove away from our wedding in this one.

1999 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 - a great pickup, very practical.

1973 Fiat 124 Spider - My first big restoration project. Very fun to drive and a good looking little car, but it made me realize my heart lies with American steel.

1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale - was my brother's daily driver through college, but I never drove it much.

1965 Mercury Comet 404 2-door sedan - My current big project car. In pieces in the garage, it's mostly on hold while we start our family.

1965 Mercury Comet 404 4-door sedan - Originally intended as a parts car for the 2-door, this car is so solid that I've been afraid to tear into it. Currently licensed and insured, it recently threw a U-joint. I fixed it, but now I'm a little nervous about driving it (what's gonna fail next?)

1996 Honda Accord Wagon - More for the wife than me, we bought it with and eye toward starting a family.

2005 Honda Odyssey - A family car for sure, but very practical with kids.

1961 Ford F-350 - A field find I got from an uncle. The price was right and I got it running enough to drive around the field, but it needs a ton of work.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Welcome to the site 65comet404. :welcome: Congratulation's on that new baby! :thumbup: Lots of info and opinions here and a good place for research while those kids grow up.

To get the most out of the site check out the Knowledge Base and use the search function for quick answers to your questions. As well check out the Project Journals for info and inspiration. Glad to have you here and enjoy the site.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts