Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mopar Lover
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is Jeremiah and i just joined. :welcome:

I own a 49 dodge pickup that i have been wanting to put a moddern drivetrain under for a few years now and while researching the options i stumbled across this site. it looks fantastic and im sure it contains a wealth of knowledge.

I bought the truck as a running driving machine but its slow and outdated to say the least. the flat head 6 cyl and manual drum brakes leave a lot to be desired but despite everything i love driving it around.

Last winter i was talking to a friend about the best route to get the truck to go 55mph without blowing the motor up but it would also need to be able to stop decent as well. while mentioning this his neighbor (who works at a body shop) said why dont you just find a new frame to start with. so i started to think of options and realized a different friend has a short box S10 pickup that looks fairly close it size. After measuring things up it turn out that the wheel base is with in 1" both length and width. I researched the s10"s and saw a lot of people throwing fairly hot small blocks in them so i figured the frame is fairly strong and there are alot of parts still available.

In the last year i found an S10 to part out along with a new motor and transmission. I have a good start on the whole project but ive never tackled anything of this caliber before so thats what lead me here. I know ill have to fab motor mounts, body mounts, and chop the firewall/floor in cab to fit transmission in. Its a long road ahead but i cant wait until its finished!!!!!:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
I don't agree with your project, makes a lot more sense to me to modify the Dodge frame with a more modern drive train and suspension but that isn't what this forum is about, it's to welcome people and that I will do, Welcome! There are ALL KINDS of opinions, mine's just one of them and there are others here who like frame changing.

Post in the suspension forum for more info from many very knowledgeable guys.

Brian

·
Mopar Lover
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bumped into a guy at a car show that had the same vintage truck that took the drivetrain from a mid 80s dodge diplomat. It intrested a lot at first until I thought the stock frame was designed for a motor that produces 80hp and 100lbs of torque. Im shooting for 400+ lbs of durability and I've seen s10 frames with turbo small blocks handle a lot more then that so thats part of the reason to going this route. I will deffinately look into that section of the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.