Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hello. I am new to the discussion board.

I started working on a 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe. It is a combo restoration and hot rod, or at least that is my vision for it. I have been reading archive posts, so I know that there is alot of knowledge within this group that will be able to help me out.

Anyone who had put a 400 small block into a 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe, please feel free to offer up any advice.

Regards

Craig

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Hey Craig sup Dude??

I kind of started out building 48-53 Chevy PU trucks with sbc engines and custon paint jobs!! Makes a nice rod...what are you doing for the front suspension...Camaro or Firebird or Olds Omega will weld righ in there. Measure 4 or 5 times and cut once!!! I like the look of the 3100 series...smooth out the hood...and french the headlights!!! Never did chop one...looks good though.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not made a decision about the steering and suspension yet. Do you weld on the whole front clip or just weld on bracketery to the existing frame? My rear end will be from a 68 camaro, so I wouldn't mind going with a camaro front end as well. How many have you done? I worked on a 51 International on a Ford 4X4 frame with my Dad when I was 16. This is my first solo car...

Thanks for the reply.

Craig

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
You weld on the whole front clip. It will give you disk brakes, power steering, and the mounts for a SBC. The only hard part about doing a clip is the fabrication required to hang the front sheet metal and radiator back on. There are some safety concerns though. You definitely need to measure two to three times before cutting but you also need to make sure you have a certified welder do the welding. There is nothing worse, than an unsafe clip installation, from a safety stand point as well as a value stand point. Always think safety!

When done correctly a clip works fine. Just understand that to do it properly takes a little work and it's not as easy as a lot of people would have everyone think. If you decide to do one make sure you choose a clip that has very close to the same tread width of your existing suspension. If you don't you'll wind up with something that doesn't look right. There's nothing worse than having your front suspension so wide your tires rub on the fenders or you have to use wheels with odd ball back spacing. Just take your time, choose wisely and you shouldn't have a problem.

Centerline

1 - 4 of 4 Posts