Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I accidentally took a stupid pill again today. That happens a lot to me. Anyway. I'm trying to set the timing on my BB Chevy. It's too retarded. Needs to be advanced more. The goofy problem I am having is the distributor won't turn any further counterclockwise, the vacuum canister hits something.

I tried pulling the distributor out, rotating it and reinstalling it. It's still not right. This is tricky for me because the rotor shaft must still mate with the oil pump shaft - so the rotor remains stationary- I can only rotate the distributor body. Ok that makes sense. But I am getting nowhere with this - spent 1-2 hours on it already and getting lost.

what's the trick here? Should I be removing and rotating the distributor, or repositioning the spark plug wires or what?

:confused:

Lee

·
Registered
86 Posts
your prob is the rotor is not properly indexed.

if its like a sbc, you need to reach down with a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump shaft so it will line up with the rotor when the rotor is in the right position.

get cyl no 1 at TDC, mark your dist case at cyl no 1, and keep fiddling with the oil pump shaft position until the distributor drops all the way down with the rotor pointng at 1.

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Porschev said:
your prob is the rotor is not properly indexed.

if its like a sbc, you need to reach down with a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump shaft so it will line up with the rotor when the rotor is in the right position.

get cyl no 1 at TDC, mark your dist case at cyl no 1, and keep fiddling with the oil pump shaft position until the distributor drops all the way down with the rotor pointng at 1.
yes, yes, yes. I was seriously just thinking the same thing - for real. but I forgot that I "can" move the oil pump shaft with a long screwdriver - for some reason I was thinking the oil pump shaft was driven by another gear and stuck in position - I forgot that the dist shaft drives the oil pumps shaft -duh...............

ok, I'll get the #1 cyl at TDC and then rotate the oil pump shaft until it's where I like it to be when the dist/rotor drops back in and try that.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Help Adjusting Distributor-Timing

Another way to do this is to get the distributor where you want it and drop it in,if it doesent line up with the oil pump drive shaft you can turn the engine over a little bit and it will drop right into place.

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bondo said:
Wouldn't it accomplish the Same thing by rotating All the Plug Wires, back 1 hole,..??..??....
I'm thinking about that - also thinking about what the previous guy said

"rotate the engine until the dizzy drops into place"

Lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.