Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I was replacing the battery, it's in the trunk, on my 68 Camaro, when my wife asked if she could "help". I heard a snap and smelled the dreaded burnt plastic. I yanked the cables off! Well, I don't think they taught "+" or "-" in Louisiana schools! If they did she was texting!

I found the burnt line and replaced. It was an "acc" line. I put key in the ignition and NOTHING !!

My question:pain::pain::pain: Where do I start? I know the "+" line runs directly to the starter, do you think that the starter solenoid is fried? Would that be the best plce to look? What should I look for?

Oh, yea! I JUST GOT EVERYTHING DIALED IN! I was dressing everything in! Typical!

·
Registered
649 Posts
look for simple reasons 1st.

check all the fuses, then make sure there is power to the ignition switch. after that, turn the key on to see if there is power getting through the switch.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
1st see if you have pwr going to the starter, 2nd there should be a wire going from the + cable lug on the starter to your pwr distro (fuse box or a common + terminal) since your car has been modified it's hard to tell...... anyway from there you should have a fuseable link (orange wire I think) check on the fusebox side of that link..... if the link is blown NAPA sells them or you could do like I did and route everything through a 70 AMP Maxi fuse (except the starter cable), that way it's really easy to replace etc...

Has the car been re-wired or just the battery re-located?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found it!!! On a Camaro there is a post on the passenger side of the radiator mount that connects directly to the battery. It was fried! Back on the road! Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.