Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have rebuilt 350 chev.valves out of adjustment on fresh start up.i bent 8 pushrods only ran for about 3-4 minutes then i shut it down.never had this problem before i dont know where i goofed up.in a hurry trying to battle the weather elements.i replaced the bent rods now it trys to start but dont now i suspect i bent the valves if i did i was wondering if i can replace them or did it mess the guides up or something else up da help

·
doesn't play well with others
1,823 Posts
I would think with eight bent pushrods there is a good chance of other damage. You could try backing off the rocker arms and doing a leakdown test to see if the valves are sealing properly. But to acurately check the guides and valves I would pull the heads. Is there a chance the timing chain is off?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by wrenchturner:
<strong>i have rebuilt 350 chev.valves out of adjustment on fresh start up.i bent 8 pushrods only ran for about 3-4 minutes then i shut it down.never had this problem before i dont know where i goofed up.in a hurry trying to battle the weather elements.i replaced the bent rods now it trys to start but dont now i suspect i bent the valves if i did i was wondering if i can replace them or did it mess the guides up or something else up da help</strong><hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
26 Posts
did you bend 8 random pushrod ?? ,or all8 intake ,or all 8 exhaust ??..sounds to me like a cam mis-time problem ..there is a formula for setting valves cold ,with engine off .i have used it several times ,and it works great , no oil spray ,no oil stink on manifolds etc , if you have access to an older 80's/ 70's MOTORS manual ,it tells you how . if you can't find one locally ,i can research /recite the procedure ,but my book is at our car club shop ,but i'll have it in a few days ,if you' not in a hurry ..other advise is good ,back off the valves ,do a compression ,or leak down test ,if you have little ,or no ,or low compression ,i'm afraid you are in for a tear-down ..sorry for your luck ..jim p ..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maybe you put the ditributor in wrong when you put it back together?

If the rods bent because the rockers were too tight, you probably lost a good bit of cam lobe. Check the distributor and if it's not that, tear it down again and check the cam out.

Don't worry, you're not the first guy to have to do it over again...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all whom replied. thats what I was afraid to hear. Im jumping in to the tear down tomorrow 3-27 Ive got a couple days weather permitting. By the way Ive bored this motor 30 over flat tops,480 lift,305 heads blended to match the 350 bore,matched intakes,port&polished them Its for 79 malibu curious to see the outcome. Not sure which push rods.done had them out before I realized it. PS.it stinks not having a garage thanks again

·
1,823 Posts
I've seen a lot of guys, including myself once or twice, put in distributors wrong on the first shot (usually 180 out) and have yet to see it wipe out a set of pushrods. There may be a first time for everything, but I haven't seen that one yet. Good luck with the tear-down.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've done it too, that's why I suggested it.

I thought he was asking why it wouldn't start since he put it back together. I was not suggesting that it bent the pushrods.

·
1,823 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding reddwarf, I just didn't want him thinking his distributor being out caused the damage and maybe overlook something else. We try to write as clear as we can, but mistakes happen. I misinterpreted, sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts