Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carb Problem, HELP!!!!

Help!!!! I have a 1967 Chevelle with a 350 and the Holly 670 Avenger. Here is the problem that I am having.....When I press the gas peddle all the way to the floor the car seems to flood itself or gasp for air. I am really unsure which it is doing. I took the breather off to see if perhaps the carb was not opening up all of the way....in fact the front 2 flaps on the carb open up just fine but the rear 2 do not open at all. I am thinking that perhaps something is missing on the linkage to the rear 2 barrels. Do they or are they suppose to open up using some sort of vacuum? Should they only open up when I press the gas to the floor? Or should they ease open just a little while I cruise and then open up all of the way when I stomp on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need pictures let me know I will most certainly go and take some and send them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
'normally' there is a linkage from the front butterflys to the rear...through the choke arms. However there are some that are totally vaccuum controlled....if so there will be adash pot visable in that area. [right side of card] Also there is a lock out on the base plate that will not allow opening intil its warm enough...sounds like you may be missing some linkage

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Holley Avenger line are vacuum secondary carburetors. Airflow through the primaries creates a signal that opens the secondaries. There is a spring in a housing on the passenger side of the carb that adjust the secondary opening rate and timing. Your problem could be two things: accelerator pump or secondary opening spring. If you have a spring installed that is too light for you particular combo, the secondaries will open too soon and bog. On Avengers, this is easy to adjust by removing the c ap from the housing and changing the spring. Could you give some more detail about the car (gearing, trans, engine specs)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wally its cool thanks for offering some help. Here is the information you asked for Orangef4. Gearing in the rear end is 410 gears, 12 bolt limited slip diff, tranny is a Turbo 350 with a 3500 TCI Stall, as for the engine its a 350 bored over .030 and has forged .030 speed pro pistons, steel rods, crane hydraulic cam int 480 exh 494 grind H-228/3200-2S-6, lifters float @ 6500 RPM's, Edlebrock Tranchula single plane intake range is 2800-6500 RPM's, and a Mallory Uni-Light Billet Distr. Hopefully this is what you were looking for. Thanks for your help just let me know if you need some more info.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like an impressive ride.

I got no Chevelles, although my son has a BB El Camino 1970.
Its just coming out of total mechanical rebuild cam, overbore, HEI, stall conv. headers etc. But has a radiator leak and has not been run much.

I'm into older stuff just now am working 1937 Ford and 1939 Chevy...both chevy powered. Working on gears for the 37 am going with 3.80 and GM four speed. Need to paint the 39 and touch up the 37 after I change rear end gears maybe next week or so. If I feel like working on it....I have trouble getting burned out and have been lazy this summer did'nt do much.
I try to stay away from Holleys although the El Camino has one if I remember correctly.

I sorta like the carters and Q-jets...they are easy to work on and I am used to their problems so I think I know what too do it hey go sour. Biggest problem I have is bad fuel from sitting over winter months. Seems to really cause problems fast...currently trying Stabil and higher octane maybe that will help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for the link. I should have found something like that earlier but of course silly me was spelling holley wrong (holly). I will check it out. Orange, sounds like you have several of nice toys. Good choice to power the fords with chevy. Thanks again for the help.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
No problem on the spelling, I still spell it wrong.
Good luck with tuning it in. Let us know how it runs when done.
LOL :thumbup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Saw a graphic at one of the shows....it reads

BUILT FORD TUFF WITH CHEVROLET STUFF.

Guy had it pinstripped into his paint on an old fat fender rod

Hey onebad80....

Tell me about your car..still got it? I also have a Corvette or two but perfer the older models. After 1967 [the best of the bunch] they could not keep me interested. Did run a 1978 silver An. 176000 miles though. Cars just don't seem to be tweaking my interest as much when they started reducing performance and engine options. Thats why I fool around with older stuff and make it like I want it instead of what some greenie wants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts