Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for help on picking a cam for my stock chevy 350, its going in a s10 pick up , in thinking about running 305 heads, im looking for a mild cam,with good mid rang power. its my first time picking a a cam and lifter set.
im planing on running a eldelbrock intake, probly the torker!
if someone could give me some ideas, on brands or derations or lift numbers to look for! also what size carberator would be a good size to look for?
thanks for any help!

·
Banned
30 Posts
grab a may 07 issue of chevy high performance front cover says camshaft basics how to pick the right bumpstick the first time

i learned from this ad i am not very good with figuring out all the numbers and this helped me make a decision

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
torquer intakes will not be good for your application. Get a performer intake.

Need to give a little more information like gear ratio, converter stall, exhaust system, intended use, ect.

305 heads don't flow well. Get some vortec heads or a set or after market heads (dart iron eagles, sportsman II's, edelbrock, trickflow). Should be able to get a good set of heads for under 1000.00.

Gears, compression, head flow, exhaust, and intended use all dictate which cam will work the best. But from the information you gave so far, a cam in the 210 to 218 duration range with 108 lobe centers would be around the size you should be looking at.

And use a little more exhaust duration than intake if the exhaust is restricted or if the exhaust ports flow less than 75% of the intake port. For example, a 210/216 duration cam with 108 LSA will work well with a set of vortec heads with 9.0:1 cr, with a 2000 stall converter, and a 3.08 gear.

I like 108 lsa's with engines that have higher rod/stoke ratios, like the 327.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.