Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Guitars & Cars >8D
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys :) Im putting together a nice little 350 for my truck and Im wondering what roller block would be the best to use for my application. I just dont know the differences between the 86-95 roller blocks and the 96-00 vortec rollers. Im going to be getting some RHS Pro Torkers and using my edelbrock 2101 intake and 1406 carb Im also wanting to transfer over any parts that i possibly can to save money. Will my accessories swap to the newer blocks? Alternator and bracket, GM HEI Distributor, balancer and pully, stearing fluid resivor, mech fuel pump, headers, valve covers and oil pan, timing cover? How much of these parts will I need to replace. If anybody has done one of these swaps and knows what all is interchangable id really appreciate youre input. Also is either block better than the other?

Thanks for your time guys
Shayne

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Here is info on the casting numbers to look for.

AFAIK, other than some blocks are 2- and some are 4-bolt and some have and some do not have finished mechanical fuel pump bosses, they're basically the same.

There are some blocks that have the bosses for the spider but the bosses aren't drilled and tapped because the engines were used w/a flat tappet cam. The holes can be easily drilled and tapped using the spider as a template.

Checking the p-rod length can tell you what type of cam is in an engine if the engine is still assembled: ~7.2" = OE hydraulic roller; ~7.8" = flat tappet.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
The cam retainer can vary too, but nbd. Id search for a 4 bolt 880 block, typically they have very little wear as engine management was pretty good by then. You may be able to reuse the entire short block, or just swap rings and bearings after a quick hone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.