Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I Have a whining sound in the engine. I originally thought it was the alternator so I replaced that, but it didn't help.

I did a quick test and ran the engine (momentarily) with all belts removed and the whining sound is still there and constant.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this and where to start wrenching first.

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
I really don't hear anything out of the ordinary there might be a bit of a whine off the cam drive which is common with roller chain drives, too quiet for even a "quiet" gear drive.

Bogie

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Louder in person

The whine is washed out somewhat in the video.
It's much louder and more noticeable in person.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As a test, try unbolting the torque convert to flywheel bolts and push the converter back towards the trans.. Now start it up again and see if the whine is still there. This will isolate the sound from the transmission.

I did not hear anything in the video out of the ordinary either. Other than a too high engine idle speed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have to agree to quiet for cam drive but listening to video on Bose in living room it sounds more rear engine related. Does it calm down as engine gets warmer i.e. trans warms up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
car is pretty new to me.

So far, the whine seems pretty consistent when running.
Changes pitch some with engine RPM.

But I really haven't driven this car more than about a mile since I got it.
It had fuel delivery issues, and I just got those sorted out.

I don't really want to drive it around until I figure out what the source of the whining sound is, just in case it could do severe damage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seller knew nothing about engine other than 350

No knowledge of internal build characteristics.

I was told it was a crate 350 engine, that's all the info the seller had.
The block has no casting numbers on it, or stamped numbers, back or front.

I took off a valve cover and the head castings number is 333882
which is: 350-400, 74-80, 76cc, 160/60cc ports

I wasn't paying close attention to the valve train when I had the valve cover off since I was just looking for a casting number, but what I remember seeing looked like stock GM rockers.

·
RedLine Stage 4 ZL1 650rwhp
1971 BB Chevelle
546 Posts
As said its not whining loud enough for the normal gear drive sound and I agree you should see if it's coming out of the torque convertor. A long Rubber Hose or Broom Stick to the ear and bell housing is an easy listen.

I've had convertors whine before they've gone in the past but it was pretty easy and obvious to tell where it was coming from (and pretty loud).

Outside of that the motor seems to run smooth and tick free, if there doesnt seem to be a noise coming from the convertor maybe it has a quiet gear drive. I say drive it like you stole it and enjoy, LOL

PS

Here's a Pete Jackson Quiet Gear Drive, it's much much quieter than the really loud ones everyone is use to hearing. To be honest out side of a different cammier idle it kinda sounds like your sound

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After some stethoscope probing, the noise is definitely loudest when I proble the bell housing.

As I probe around on the engine, its pretty loud but sounds about the same anywhere you put it, but when I probe the bell housing the noise changes to a scream in the stethoscope.

I didn't get a chance yesterday to unbolt the torque converter, and today is my 19th wedding anniversary, so I know better than to work on the car today :)

Really appreciate all the input. :thumbup:

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
995 Posts
Probably the pump, shops like AMCO that do auto trans can tell pretty quick by ear. Nothing really in a converter that will whine, a pump on the other hand definitely can.

What you must hold your wife's hand ALL frigging day cause it the anniversary.... hope you're just kidding

Greg

·
Registered
763 Posts
It sound like trans pump whine to me. You say you only drove it less than a mile. Check fluid level while running in park on level ground. Make sure the fluid is correct on dip stick Drive it to get the trans and fluid up to temperature and recheck fluid level. Is the dip stick correct for your trans? Over full will cause fluid to aerate and cause pump whine. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rip-tide: yes as a matter of fact I will be holding her hand all day long.
And she doesn't give me grief about any money I spend on my cars at all, ever. :D. If I can't at least make her anniversary special, then I got nothing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
torque converter test.

I finally got time this weekend to throw the car up on jack stands,
drop the exhaust out of the way, pull the tranny cover and unbolt the torque converter. I pushed it back out of the way as far back as it would go, hooked the exhaust back up and fired it up.

There was no change in the whining sound at all. It was ever present exactly as before.

I'm not sure why my stethoscope probing seemed to be louder at the bell housing the other day. Today it definitely seemed loudest at the timing cover.

And with the tranny out of the picture, the sound has to be coming from the engine.

Also, I did check the tranny fluid and it was full, but it does have an after-market dipstick tube and dipstick. I just hope they are right for this trans.

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
683 Posts
since you said that loudest sound was on the bellhousing is there any possibility that the flex plate gear is hitting something up near the top of the bellhousing where you can't see it. Did you start it up and crawl under it with it running to see if it was from the flex plate?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't do that.
But its still on the jack stands so I will, unfortunately I already put the cover back on, so may have to pull that again.
Thanks for input!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts