Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been advertising this rx7 engine on these other ricer type forums and i got quite a few bites on it, but they either live in canada or the other side of the country. i can't get anybody local to come buy it so it looks like i might end up shipping it.

now how do go about doing such a task? i can't say i ever freighted an engine before LOL. it's not really all that big or heavy, hell it's only about 260-280lbs (maybe). it's just a baby rotary engine it hasn't ate it's spinach yet :D

any light on the subject sure would be appreciated :welcome:

thanks,

-J

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
shipping an engine

Empty all fluids, check with the company who will be doing the shipping. All that may be required is banding it to a pallet.

Should you need to build a crate. Make it large enough to place the engine in. Not to large as you do not want the engine banging around in there. If possible place the engine in a cradle (where the oil pan is) and have it sit as it was in the vehicle. Band the engine to the bottom of the crate.

If you have to do the crate thing ....now is the time to charge shipping and handling. You earned it ...LOL...russ

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Make provision for moving that thing with a forklift..they may not pick it up otherwise..get some shop plywood and build a box just big enough to hold the engine and like the other guys said band it to the base of the box..

When we got our diesels for the boats they were boxed that way and the sides and tops were screwed on so we could remove them easily..Also they were wrapped in plastic for shipping..

Good luck..

Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
jesse01 said:
i've been advertising this rx7 engine on these other ricer type forums and i got quite a few bites on it, but they either live in canada or the other side of the country. i can't get anybody local to come buy it so it looks like i might end up shipping it.

now how do go about doing such a task? i can't say i ever freighted an engine before LOL. it's not really all that big or heavy, hell it's only about 260-280lbs (maybe). it's just a baby rotary engine it hasn't ate it's spinach yet :D

any light on the subject sure would be appreciated :welcome:

thanks,

-J
I had to ship a engine from ca to newyork just real fast drain all the fluids . i went to a local auto parts store that sells rebuilds and they gave me a engine box i called a shipping company they picked it up with a truck that had a lift and they used a pallet jack it went easy.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys,

i'm not sure where it's going to yet but i appreciate the help and pointers :welcome:

i was thinking of putting it in a crate and strapping it to a pallet so they can get one of them floor cart thingys under it and move it around, it only weighs about 280lbs minus the crate and pallet.

thanks again,

-J

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Hey jesse there is a FAQ about that somewhere..... :p

I had to ship some machinery one time. I called Fed ex and a bunch of other shippers until I found one that would not try to bamboozle me. Matson was the cheapest, and was very helpful with the classification and type of packaging I needed.
Some of those online shipping quote places charged twice as much as the truck lines that I called direct. The Ebay truck freight broker was the worst. IIRC Fed Ex was not far behind as far as cost went.

What you need to watch out for is reclassification enroute. That's where they will give you a quote, then pick up the box, then somewhere along the line they will reclassify its shipping catagory it to get more money out of you. Make sure you follow the recommendations of the truck co so you don't get hit.

Shippers have to classify things based on what they are and the way they are packaged. The classes are defined by the ICC.
An engine on a pallet will cost more to ship than an engine in a crate on a pallet.
also, a crate that can not be stacked will cost more. They will ask if you need it "top loaded". This will cost more as they cant stack to the roof on top of your box.

Hope this helps,
mikey

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shipping on a budjet

It would actually help if you open a commercial account with the "RoadWay Trucking Co" here in the USA. It is free to open the account and you can ship from hub-to-hub cheaper then any other way. My partner and I ship syuff all over the country for 1/3 the price of FedX and any other shipping firm. You package it up in a crate, drain all the fluids and seal it up.
Have your prospect give you the address of the closest hub to his house.
He picks it up and you save money over all. :welcome:

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts