Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just sprayed Nason's epoxy primer 491-35 for the first time on my hood and tailgate.
-It appears to have a significant orange peel affect to it almost spotty looking in places like there was too much air. I sprayed it at around 30-35 psi. I sprayed 2-3 coats as I didn't want to make it too thick. *The guy who sold me the paint said that epoxy primers are known for this, so I was not too surprised.

-So what can I do to fix the orange peel affect? Can I wet sand it? What grit would be good to use? I was told that it is also hard to sand and clogs up sandpaper fast.

-I will be spraying a Nason sandable primer filler on top, so do I need to sand the epoxy primer smooth first, or when I sand the filler primer coat will that sand smooth itself regardless of the texture on the epoxy primer underneath it?

Thanks I am learning!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
You could have tried reducing the epoxy primer a little to get it to flow out more. I disagree with the guys comment about epoxy primers are known for this. SPI's epoxy primer goes on like milk and stays that way, best stuff I have ever used and the most durable of any brand.

Vince, no affiliation with SPI

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
I keep seeing all these posts by SPI Vince (Sorry Vince, your comment at the end of your post made me do it) and am becoming a convert to SPI. The owner Barry is a helluva a guy and has loads of knowledge he is willing to share. Having atop notch product doesn't hurt either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.