Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIGHT !!!

shot bonnet blend half way up you could see an on off pattern on the bonnet ( like its cloudy ) its silver met using devilbiss gti 1.4 set up 29 psi

then shot another bonnet used different gun sata 2000 hvlp 1.4 set up at 29 psi in aston martin white ( 3 stage white - xirralics - clear )

same again in the xirralic coat cloudy looking effect on the panel

what the hell am i doing wrong???? could i be holding the gin too far away and the v of the spray pattern is more air or something

thanks

tommy

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
turbo, slow down inbetween coats....it sounds like your putting on to much too fast and its not drying underneath...silver is very tuff to do right ...use thin coats that you can still see through ...easters a long ways away no need to rush(easter bonnet)

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
turbo t said:
RIGHT !!!

shot bonnet blend half way up you could see an on off pattern on the bonnet ( like its cloudy ) its silver met using devilbiss gti 1.4 set up 29 psi

then shot another bonnet used different gun sata 2000 hvlp 1.4 set up at 29 psi in aston martin white ( 3 stage white - xirralics - clear )

same again in the xirralic coat cloudy looking effect on the panel

what the hell am i doing wrong???? could i be holding the gin too far away and the v of the spray pattern is more air or something

thanks

tommy
Do you clear these as well? If you did there are some clears that will "cloud" up if applied too heavy. You may need to speed up movement and lessen overlap to reduce the amount of clear you are applying.

If it is the color a little "lighter hand" kinda along the same thing and letting it flash more like Deadman suggested.

Also, it depends on how much CFM you have, if you have low CFM that 29 lbs is still not "breaking up" the paint as it comes out of the gun. You could be applying it much heavier than it should be.

Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deadbodyman said:
turbo, slow down inbetween coats....it sounds like your putting on to much too fast and its not drying underneath...silver is very tuff to do right ...use thin coats that you can still see through ...easters a long ways away no need to rush(easter bonnet)

thanks old yin lol

plaed about with the guns yesterday and it looks like i was to far away from the panel make this mad cloudy effect ?

do you think this could be right

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
it's kinda hard to say for sure but I think so...after I spray three coats of silver base and let it dry in between I hold the gun about a foot(12")and dust two or three light coats to even out the metalics these dust coats are applied in a crisscross pattern(diagonal) so theres no zebra stripping. ...most of these problems are common and you just need to keep at it. Its frustrating I know but at least you have us here at hotrodders,most of us started painting before computors were around and it took years to get where you are now.dont give up.Thin coats not heavy coats,its ez to get carried away also theres a fine line you gotta walk ...holding the gun too far away will cause a whole other set of problems and it'll dry before hitting the car causing a rough ,sandpaper feel.How do I know this?....I learned the hard way.......before computors,I've made many many mistakes and saw the results but solving a mistake or problem just makes you a better painter...and keeps you down to earth....

·
Registered
183 Posts
deadbodyman said:
Brian ,have you ever used this xircrilic stuff?I've never heard of it,that could also be part of the problem...Turbo ,you say you paint two (bonnets)...are you painting at home or in a shop? Whats a bonnet? a roof? :confused:
the bonnet is the hood... the boot is the trunk :) hey D.B :welcome:
simon

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Hey Simon,where you been? I thought it was the hood but since a bonnet goes over your head and so does a roof........I better watch some old James Bond flicks this weekend.Hows that 29 running? PM me when you got time. :welcome:You see why I didnt recomend painting your car with BC/CC?

·
Registered
183 Posts
the single stage came out great... good shine with out even buffing... and everyone that sees it can't belive it is ss... I knew you wouldn't steer me wrong ... and look how worried I was about getting the car done in time .. and look it was done with over a month to go :drool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
deadbodyman said:
Brian ,have you ever used this xircrilic stuff?I've never heard of it,that could also be part of the problem...Turbo ,you say you paint two (bonnets)...are you painting at home or in a shop? Whats a bonnet? a roof? :confused:

hey mate thanks for the info

the xirralics is an mid coat its basicly metallic pigments in a clear base pic bellow this is on a white grond coat that i have just done

the colour is from a aston martin (morning frost)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.