Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sbc that has a broken pushrod. A piece about 3 inches long was sitting next to it's respective lifter when i tryed to get it with a magnet it slipped away. It was at the passenger side rear piston position. It went towards the firewall. Any, i remember years back pulling intakes off engines with valley pans and finding all kinds of crap including bolts. My question is, do you think it will hurt anything to leave that piece of pushrod in the intake valley?

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Not likely, but if it happened to make it`s way forward and into the timing chain the game is over, or if it finds it`s way to the oil pump drive rod, same result, or if it was to fall into the oil pan, the oil pump could suck it into the screen and severly restrict the oil pressure. I would go in and remove it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at a picture of a sbc without the intake on it right now and i don't see where it could possibly go anywhere. It's trapped in the valley under the intake. Once the intake is on it doesnt look possible for it to jump over to the timing chain or go down to the oil pan. Am i missing something?

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
the oil drain holes in the front of the block directly behind the timing chain, all it has to do is slide forward under hard braking. the rear of the block also has these same drain back holes. If you leave it in there it`s possible nothing will happen and it`ll be fine, but it`s still taking a chance so in the end it`s up to you.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
engineczar said:
would it possible to get it if you pulled out the distributor?

The bigger question would be why did it break?
I would think a flexible magnetic stick would do the trick. If you cant find one that is flexable, you could make one with a magnet from Radio Shack, some tape and a coat hanger.

Chris

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Jusy don't let the magnet break off in there too. Get one of the higher quality ones. Not the $1.99 special.

I had this happen once. I just removed the intake and got it. There were a few metal chips and shavings that I wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two pushrods broke. I got the one in the #1 cyl. with a flexible magnet but the rear one seemed to slip down towards the left somewhere and no matter how i try i cant get to it with the magnet. If you want to know why they broke in the 1st place look at thread, Sheared Distributer Gear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The thing im trying to tell you is the piece is 3 inches long and its fatter than any oil holes in the intake valley. I dont see any opening in the valley big enough for the thing to fall through. Basically it looks like theres nothing for it to do and no where to go. So far no one has explained to me how it would be possible for it to leave the valley area, just to remove it before it does damage.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
You know you need to remove it,you are a mechanic also right?If the pushrod section is to get down in there it can cause damage.You have drain back holes at the front of the block that drop down to the timing chain.Also if it gets binded between the other pushrods and the inside wall of the block you can find yourself with another broken pushrod.That TPI intake is not as hard as it looks.You have alot of wiring connectors that will only plug into the terminal for which they are made.It is not that hard.Granted it is not like a carbed intake,but it is noting like an OHC engine like the SHO or the ZR1

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
Well heres an idea of what it takes. I owned an 89 vette I had to reseal the intake on it. I ve done several others but this one was the most recent. Ive been wrenching for well over 15 yrs in dealerships and independant garages. With air tools a lift, in a very well equiped shop, it took me almost all day to reseal that intake and do a good job of it. Im not saying it cant be done quicker Im shure it can. But none the less that piece needs to be removed, theres also quite a large oil return @ the rear of the block. If the push rod goes to the bottom of the oil pan I would forget it, but as it stands you need to get it out of there. Sounds like you have other problems anyway pushrods dont break for no reason.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mycam timing gear sheared and the engine shut down quietly. I was only doing about 20 mph when it happened. Since i had no idea at the time what was wrong, i tried cranking it over. I'm sure that's when i bent 4 pushrods. Two of them cracked and broke off. I got one of them out. The rods were only bent slightly. My valves didn't bend and the top of the pistons have slight marks on them. I still have to pull the pan because when the cam gears sheared all the nylon and metal teeth had to go there. I was just hoping it wasn't going to be neccesary to remove that nightmare intake but it looks like i have no choice unless i get lucky and find it by fishing with a magnet. thanks for your opinions guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
977 Posts
You said that there was marks on the pistons but you didn't bend any valves. Did you do a leak down check? That would be the minimum that you should do. You don't have to hit a valve very hard to bend it. You may have also cracked some valve guides.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used a fiber optic flexible telescope with a light . It's kind of what they use when surgeons go inside except this has an eye piece instead of a monitor. What you do is you put each piston at it's lowest stroke then put the tube in and check it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.