Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to identify a tilt telescopic steering column in my sedan delivery. There is no shift linkage just a key switch on the right side and the turn signal and tilt levels on the left. Turning the horn button will allow the column to move in or out, then tighten button to secure. Apparently the original steering wheel was a rim blow wheel. The ignition key is shaped like a Mopar key. My first impression was a Cadillac or Oldsmobile. Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Definitely GM. Could be out of pretty much anything from about 69 to the late 70's. The chrome turn signal and tilt levers would suggest a luxury car off some kind. All GM's used basically the same basic columns. Only the length of the lower sections changed. The telescoping columns used the same tilting mechanisms as just about every other GM columns. The telscoping parts were just an add on. That's why they are so much longer at the top.

Can't tell from your pictures if the shifter has been removed or if it never had one. If it never had one, that would narrow it's source down considerably to something with a floor shift. Not a lot of them with telescoping columns. Could be a Vette, but could also be something like a 442.

What is your need for identification? Just want to know or are you having problem?

They are fiddly to take apart and some special tools definitely help. Most parts are available, but some not easy to find.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also, it's pretty simple to cut off a cloumn shift lever boss and fill the hole. I've done several since the floor shift columns are harder to find. The real tell is the lower section of the column where the shifter arm exits.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It Was a floor shift column not converted. Also I replaced the levers as the originals were rusty. Trying put together a parts history for future info. The car seems to used lots of parts from the late 60‘s - early 70’s era. May need a rag joint replaced soon hence the column id.

·
Registered
279 Posts
As far as I know GM only used 3 sizes of connection on the output shafts of their "modern" columns. 3/4" splined, 1" splined and 1" double D. The aftermarket (like I Did It) uses 1" double D, but it is a slightly different size and joints won't interchange.

The 3/4" splined was mostly 60's stuff. The 1" splined came about late 60's to early 70's. The 1" double D started around the late 70's I think. That might help narrow down the year range and get a rag joint.

Also, as 2old said, it might be a Vette column. The type of telescoping lock you described sounds Vette, but many of the parts are interchangeable across GM brands. No way to know for sure and the lock could be aftermarket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.