Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out what rods I have in my 350 chevy. They're either cast with the casting line ground down, or forged but I can't tell. The rest of the rotating assembly is cast but it was a 30-over rebuilt 010 truck block.

I can only assume that these are the same rods that came stock with the engine since the rebuild was very budget-minded. Off-brand pistons, cast rings, cheap china intake.

Anyway, they all have different numbers cast on them: 187, 212, 200, 209 and then they all have GM A, B, C, or D

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Other than the new "powdered metal" rods all chevy rods were forged. For a good street engine grind and polish the beams(lengthways), magnaflux, shot peen, install ARP bolts and resize. They are good for most applications...... up to a point of course.

·
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's good to know. I was hoping they were forged since they looked kinda wimpy.

This is going in a boat at 300 hp which sounds like nothing, but boats operate at 90% throttle 90% of the time, so it calls for some beefier internals.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You know over the years the cost of hipo forged rods have really come down. If You are queezy about the stockers you can buy Eagle or Scat H beam rods from GOOD dealers on EBAY for around $325.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
327NUT said:
You know over the years the cost of hipo forged rods have really come down. If You are queezy about the stockers you can buy Eagle or Scat H beam rods from GOOD dealers on EBAY for around $325.

or scat or eagle 5140 I beams for $189

I'm lining up parts for a 420HP SBC build (its for my son, so it will prob be operated at 90%+ throttle 90%+ of the time) , and i was gona buy some used GM reconditioned pink rods or used reconditioned or new scat or eagle rods from ebay. but I thought about that. and don't want parts I want to depend on from someone I don't know about or if there 2nds or what ever. not that theres prob not good rods on ebay. but I will buy from summit , jegs , ect. of course you can always get a bad rod anywhere. might just be me. now I know a stock GM rod with arp bolts will take some hard beatin. but this is for a kid. and I remember being 16 & 17yrs old :) but mostly he will do his beating on the strip.............

Mustangsaly

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
I believe there are two different types of manufacturing that GM used for their rods. Some have a thin casting mark down the sides of the rods and some have a wider casting mark down the sides. I know its kinda relative but the rods with the wider casting marks were stronger. I'm not sure if there was a different forging process used between the two or what the difference is. I only vaguely remember reading about this and I could very well be mistaken. Just something to research. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If the choice is between reconditioned stock rods,i.e magnafluxed shotpeened etc. and eagle and scat the stockers win hands down.I am including the h-beams as well in this ,I have ran over to many eagle rods and flatened to many good Hoosiers NO THANKS! just another example of Chinese junk. For just a little more you can have good rods such as crower, oliver etc.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I,ll have to go with Barnym17....I,m not a racer but I,ve run a bunch of HOT 327's at the drags with well I wont call em "blueprinted" but very well done up chevy forgings, never broke one. Never could afford Crower or Oliver but really did'nt need them either. When you think about all the early chevy and other hot performance cars that guys used to beat the sh-- out of them on a daily basis, rarely did you see a rod failure, Broke some pistons though. Get a good set, have a GOOD shop mag, polish, shot peen, resize and install ARP bolts. If you're not blowing tons of nitrous on them then you should be ok.

·
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be making 300-325 hp, but its for a boat. That 300 hp will be most of the time unlike a car that sees WOT only for a small percentage of the time.

Sounds like the stock rods will do.. I'm sure its what Mercruiser used.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
barnym17 said:
If the choice is between reconditioned stock rods,i.e magnafluxed shotpeened etc. and eagle and scat the stockers win hands down.I am including the h-beams as well in this ,I have ran over to many eagle rods and flatened to many good Hoosiers NO THANKS! just another example of Chinese junk. For just a little more you can have good rods such as crower, oliver etc.

any reconditioned GM stock rod that were magnafluxed shotpeened etc. or just GM pink rods ?

would you take a set of 1987 or 1990 GM 5.7 stock Rods out of a chevy P/U over aftermarkets if they wern't crower or oliver ?

I thought scat & eagle was good ???

Mustangsaly

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I,m not a rod guru so I did a little research, the infamous "Pink" rod is nothing more than a stock production rod made out of the same 1030 steel only its mag'd and shot peened at the factory and of course has the splash of pink paint added to distinguish it from the rest. Also around '89 chevy narrowed the width or thickness of the beams from 0.570 to 0.505.
So to answer your question earlier stock rods would be the choice, they also made the X rod which I understand had a little more material around the neck at the big end. Just do the above mentioned rod work and balance the whole works especially in a high sustained rpm boat motor.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Mustangsaly said:
any reconditioned GM stock rod that were magnafluxed shotpeened etc. or just GM pink rods ?

would you take a set of 1987 or 1990 GM 5.7 stock Rods out of a chevy P/U over aftermarkets if they wern't crower or oliver ?

I thought scat & eagle was good ???

Mustangsaly
I do not like the Eagle SIR lightweight rods for the SBC. I do like the Eagle and Scat H-beam rods and the Scat I-beam rods. If somebody is having problems with rods, it is likey poor rod and engine prep that is the problem.

tom

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I agree thats possible but have seen several puke in circle track applications, no not mine.lol, and just don't trust em. Several reputable engine builders in the dirt track arena will not touch them, and recomend stock if good ones are not in the budget.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
A lot of that depends on the track condition and tire rule.

Anything lives on my hometown track. It's so slick after lap one, you can't hurt nothin. Sometimes we are faster with a 2 barrel.

Take it to Tricity in the spring, Whooooo.. whole nother thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts