Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ignition switch in my wife's 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra will not turn. We have tried jiggling it and the gear shift lever but it still will not turn. If I remember you had to push it in against a spring before it would turn. There doesn't seem to be any pressure from the spring any more. What would be broken? Do I have to pull the steering wheel and drop the column to repair this?

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
ignition switch will not turn

It is possible the pin that goes up into the lock plate has frozen, thus preventing the key from turning. The lubricant becomes dirty and acts like glue. To heat the area you can wrap the area with foil and use a hair drier to defrost.

The key can be worn?

There is a misalignment of the gears/rods that hold the shift from moving when in park.

...russ

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a lot warmer today and after reading your post I went out to check if the key would turn and it did!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Thank you! I would have had a tow truck pick it up without checking if you wouldn't have posted. If it happens again would lock deicer work? Should I pull it apart and clean and re lubricate? Lubricate with what? I did try my set of keys which are virtually brand new yesterday and they would not work either. Should I change the cylinder at the same time as I clean it?

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
My doors on my Blazer were all frozen up this morning... Sprayed WD40 in everything...........Hope that helps. You gotta love Canadian winters.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Sometimes when its cold the padlocks on my farm gates will freeze and the key will not turn in them.....I keep a can of WD-40 in my truck just for that...spray the lock down good inside and out and my key will work.

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
Ignition ket will not turn

I pulled the steering wheel and manually cleaned the linkage with carb cleaner and lubed it with 3 in 1 oil the oil film IMO does a better job . WD40 is more of a penetrating oil....russ

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
There are more WORKING parts in a GM lock cyl.
Not only do all of the tumblers have to line up, but also after this is accomplished, a separate sidebar lock must retract in order for the cylinder to turn.

Make sure that whatever you spray in there won't gum up, This can hang not only the tumblers, but the sidebar as well.

Bit of a complicated lock cylinder----but virtually impossible to pick.
I have been able to pick locks for a while.
Ford to 94-95-----no problem
Mopar thru the 80s----no problem
Have NEVER been able to pick a GM---from 58 on up.
My house----EZ

Bryan

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Break Free CLP won't gum up, and its pour point is supposed to be -60*C. It never gets quite that cold around here, but it works real well for me.

Get it at a gun store, and if you don't have one of those, the sporting goods department at Wal~Mart sometimes has it.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Clean the lock out good with something that wont hurt the plastic parts and then put some dry graphite in teh lock. Any sort of liquid lube in a lock will eventually give you problems. The surface tension of the liquid on the flat plates in a bar type lock will eventually make them stick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.