Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The body on my 38 Chevy is pretty good.I ordered EMS cowl patches.On one side I only used a bit to skin the cowl. On the other side I need almost to whole patch, but it fits like ****.It's high around the firewall and way too far in near the rocker.Has anyone used these patches? Any tricks to making them fit?I think I can quarter it and then patch it back together, but it's going to look like crap.Any advise or special swearing incantations welcome. Cisco.

·
Registered
168 Posts
38 Chevy cowl patch

Had to replace both front cowl panels (forward of door) on my daughters 37 Chevy, and 1 rear panel, (aft of the door) and the tailpiece under the trunk lid. They were all ordered from Chevs of the 40's but were made by EMS.The cowl panels fit with no problem, but the tailpiece looked like it was for a 40 Ford. We asked for (and were given) a different panel and it worked fine. I have read of EMS replacement Ford panels not fitting, but have no personal experience in that area. Just my story, (and I'm sticking to it.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cisco, I would give them a call and inquire about it. See if they can give you any tips or there may be a problem with them that they know of. There panels have always been of pretty good quality with very little tweaking. There is a dealer in Ontario also.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I also purchased the EMS Panels for my '35, and while some fit o.k., others were stamped correctly but didn't have the correct curvature for my Body. I had to English Wheel and use a Shrinker to get them to fit correctly. At least to proper Body lines were there-

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry no pic, car is 50 miles from here and makes it hard to work on.
The patch does not have the same contour where the flange follows the firewall,but is higher ,a more rounded curve and the edge isn't sharp like the original.I think I can notch the flange and bend it down.The top edge will do,the bottom has to be bent in to mate up.The door stepped flange just isn't close.It's too far in.Maybe I'll get some pics this weekend.
I tried phoning EMS and their number isn't connected yet, was the phone msg. Cisco.

·
41' Chevy Master DeLuxe Tudor
123 Posts
I need to get front cowl patches and a tailpan for my 41 chevy and I guess EMS is it. Thats not good if they don't fit correctly. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
panels

photos would be good so we all could help (comment) i put a ems tailpan on a 38 chev did not have a problem it fit just like the original but the original trunk lid did not fit that great around the trunk opening, but ems panel did fit like orig. my buddy joe used ems panels on 39 chev coupe that was pulled out of a creek probally should have been sold for scrap but he used all the ems panels and it all worked fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The patches are 18 gauge and do not have sharp 90* bends like the original or the replacements that are on the car,EMS says they can't do them, but to grind the edges down.I used only the lower part of the panel in the door area, bent the top mating edges to sharp 90* and left the firewall edge as is.
Thanks for replying, Cisco

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used all of the EMS patches on my 39. Alhough they do need to be massaged a little to fit properly. I did expect them to fit better than they did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts